1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting to know my crush

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dieyi, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Dieyi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I have a crush on guy at my college.

To be honest, we don't really know each other, but we run into each other a lot (maybe cause of our schedules). I think our feelings might be mutual because I saw him looking at me quite a few times, and we shared some (very) short intervals of eye contact. However, I'm not 100% sure.

These interactions (the eye contacts) have been going on since last semester, but I cannot see any further development. Still, my feeling for him has been growing . I'm still reserved in my actions because I don't really know him as a person, and I'm afraid that my romantic projections may get out of hand.

I'm a really shy person. My whole life has been a closet, and I don't have any dating experience :bang: I really want to turn this crush into something else though. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for all the support.

2. Beantown

Beantown Guest

I don't know if this would work for you but when I'm feeling fat to feel better I usually let a guy hit on me since it was really good for my self esteem since they'd tell me how pretty I was and stuff and I found that by actually staring at them until they look back and pretending you weren't doing it on purpose by looking away quickly so they think you were only looking at them for a bit but really you were straight staring at them actually prompts them to come to you and start flirting. Obviously I didn't let them progress far since I was dating a guy for a long time (I was in the closet till like recently) but you know it might work for you.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an introvert and in the same situation, and the best thing to do is get to know him as a friend, which is a relatively low risk. Try to find some connection or shared hobby/activity. I know it's hard to approach someone who's a stranger and even harder when you like them, but the faster you get to know them, the easier it will be to find out if they might like you, too. For icebreakers, try asking him very simple things like what's his major, what class is he's going to, etc.

There is this one crush I have that I had two classes with, but we barely spoke more than a few sentences directly to each other, the rest of the interactions being awkward eye contact. I really should have tried talking to him earlier because this semester I have never seen him since we're in different locations.

4. Trooper

Hi,

I've been in a similar situation, but I was too shy and closeted to make a move. When I was shy and close to my crush, I would have that uninterested face as if I didn't actually like him. Staring occasionally was fine though, and he did the same with me, but I could hardly dare to start a conversation with him.

What you should do in my opinion is be brave. My best advice is to approach him as you would have liked him to approach you. If he likes you back, he will be very relieved by this, and might even feel confident enough to take contact with you next time, to take things further. If you don't feel confident to do this right away, add and chat with him on Facebook. Ask him about something related to school (homework if you have any classes in common, or anything related to the school you're going to). Then it won't be as awkward to speak to him in person, if you've never spoken before.

I hope you can find it in you to just go for it. I mean, what's the worst thing that could happen? If he completely blows you off, you would at least know he wasn't interested, and it would definitely make it easier for you to get over him. Although you don't need to give up if he doesn't immediately become excited or ask you out. From your description, even if he's interested, he's a shy guy. Just try to make yourself available, as you would have liked him to do with you. It might seem unfair, but if you take that leap now, you could have much to gain later on.

Please don't miss out on your chance and let yourself wonder "what if" later in life. Life is short, so make the most of it. :slight_smile:

5. Dieyi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was thinking about this too. It still feels a little bit awkward you know. But I think you're absolutely right. What I need the most right now is courage.

Thank you guys so much for all the advice :slight_smile:

6. Trooper

No problem. Good luck dude :slight_smile:

7. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A bit long term, but how the f*ck would the kids distinguish between the parents? xD
    But I would totally not be put off at all :slight_smile:

8. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha, sorry, wrong thread :/

Umm, just try and start conversations with him and get closer :slight_smile:

9. jonnemack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're kinda in my situation that I describe here (http://emptyclosets.com/forum/famil...not-so-well-planned-but-still-valid-work.html) and update everyday. The thing is: I'd like the guy I'm interested on to come and talk to me.

If you feel the same, and you at least think he likes you, why don't you make it simpler? Go ahead and start a small talk with him, period. No big deal, nothing really important, just break the tention and see how it works.

10. BadCanadaJoke

Same thing here... But the guy's waaaaay out of my league...! But I don't think I could ever get to actually know the guy... He's way too pretty to talk to... He's so what I'm asking for that I feel like Sandra Bullock in that witch movie :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. jonnemack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

EXACTLY HOW I FEEL HAHAHAHA

Check my thread that I posted here before, I just think my crush is waaaaaay too much for me, a closeted, not-so-atractive and reserved guy. My crush is into dance clubs, he walks around with tons of girls making a wind-shield against everyone... It's just madness, impossible to even talk to him.