1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does that mean?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Pinky, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Pinky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was hanging out with a friend of mine. We go out to eat once in a while and catch up on life. I have a friend who came out as bisexual a while ago but I completely forgot. I never really label people with their sexuality so it kind of went over my head when she said "I don't really care what he does with his life. He can live it how ever he wants. I just don't support his lifestyle." So I asked her what she was talking about and I remember that he came out. I never asked what that meant. I always hear people saying that but I never completely understood the meaning of what that statement meant. I know it sounds pretty straight forward. Does it mean she doesn't accept him and he can live on life but she won't acknowledge it? How can you accept someone but not support who they are? I just never understood that statement...Isn't that what a friend is? Someone who accepts you? How can you be a friend to them but knowing that they don't like a certain gender you don't accept it? It doesn't make any sense to me.

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just because you accept something doesn't mean you approve of it. I accept the fact that some people I know use the word "f*g" all the time; I don't approve of it, but I know it's going to happen regardless of whether or not I want it to. People can accept things as being true without always approving of them, and in many cases that's what happens. I think what she means is that while he may like guys, she will accept that fact but will not get involved in his love life.

3. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, she's basically saying that she doesn't care what he does, but she's not going to support him in being bisexual. It's really sad that people acquaint homosexuality/etc with a deviant lifestyle. As if they are out doing drugs and living day by day in wait for the next fix.

That's no friend. It doesn't make sense to me either when people say that.

4. Pinky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never mentioned in my post but she also said "If he was getting married I wouldn't attend". Doesn't that just kinda mean she isn't really a friend because of that...I'm confused.

5. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly don't understand that. I'm right there with you.

6. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a friend who publicly (Facebook) stated that he doesn't understand why gay people 'come out'. He said whatever you do in your private time is your business and that he finds it unnecessary to inform everyone about your sexuality. Lastly, that only God can judge you, and he made sure that he added "I do not support the gay lifestyle." I should mention that this was after the media made a big fuss about some famous football player coming out as gay.

I was dumbfounded because I went to school with this person. Not only that, I formed a really close relationship with this person yet I never knew that he didn't support my 'lifestyle'. I mean, he knows that I like women and how much struggled with my feelings and for him to say that really hurt me.

So, your friend sounds a lot like mine. It doesn't make any sense honestly, but I guess there's really nothing you can do about people who feel that way. Even if you were to ask them why they feel the way that they do, I'm sure they couldn't give you an explanation.

It's probably because they were brought up a certain way and learned that love should only be between a man and a woman. They will probably even try to recite the bible, which makes me sick how some people twist religion around to fit their own personal agenda.

She doesn't seem like a true friend honestly, because if she were a true friend then she'd support her friend, your friend no matter what. And regardless of his sexuality.

#6 pinklov3ly, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Such people are toeing the line, parroting what others have told them is right and wrong without deep thought and analysis. In their twisted and self-righteous logic, they think it's basically "love the sinner, hate the sin", and ultimately they can't accept those who continue to do what they consider sinful.

8. Pinky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been thinking about this for awhile and collecting my thoughts on my confusion. What I don't understand is being gay isn't a lifestyle. A lifestyle is how you choose to live your life. One does not choose to be gay. You just are gay. If you got to choose to be gay you aren't really actually gay then...I have a problem with this because I'm starting to think I might just be bisexual. I'm still confused but if I really am bisexual I'm not sure what I would do when it comes to her. She is a really good friend of mine. Other than the sexuality problem she is over all a good friend. We have been friends since grade 1.