1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little age limit problem.. Need info?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ChristianHipstr, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ChristianHipstr

So I'm talking to this guy.. We met on a dating site and I already like him, and can tell that there's potential to like him more. We have a lot in common and he's an amazing guy but there's and issue... He's 26. The first day we had starting talking he had messaged me and I had only messaged back in the short spurts of time in between my classes and at work. I never got a chance to fully check his profile until that night and that's when I noticed the age... I initially was surprised that he'd message me if I'm 17 but then I noticed I forgot to mention I'm 17 in my information..... What's the limits on this? I mean, isn't 17 the age of consent for dating in Texas? Honestly I know that's a pretty intimidating age gap, but I want to try being together if our feelings allow..

Plus, since I forgot to add my age to my profile info, he must think I'm 18. How do I say that?..

2. Simple Thoughts

I'd tell him the truth about your age. That way if he's uncomfortable with it he knows.

Secondly, if you like a person you like them. Since you're almost 18 anyways age is really just a number at that point. You are of age to give consent should anything happen, and you said the two of you connected so why not go for it?

3. ChristianHipstr

I'm not sure if 17 is old enough though

4. Simple Thoughts

I'd look into it then. If it is old enough than go for it. If not you could keep talking to him, but just not set anything up maybe until you were?

5. GayDadStr8Marig

you're messaging online not hooking up so age isn't that critical at this point, but I believe you're correct on 17 being legal age of consent in TX, but you can always probe the google brain to be sure.... last thing either of you want are statutory charges or being listed on a registry. above all, let him know your age, no games. personally, age isn't important to me as long as everyone is legal and capable of consent.

now, since I'm technically old enough to be your dad, I'll add this. just because you may be legal, and you like the guy so far, don't do anything stupid that you'll regret. no sexting for starters, once you send the pic of your d* you may as well post it on your facebook profile if things turn out badly with him. again, google is your friend, chilling what goes on these days, we used to just walk uphill in the snow both ways, and that was in Florida! :slight_smile:

seriously though, use common sense (or as I call it, uncommon sense) and be safe, you never really know who's behind the keyboard on those dating sites.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    9 years is a lifetime at your age. When he was 17, you were 8.

Now it is possible that you are super mature and he is somewhat immature for his, but you are at pretty different life stages and the real concern is the possibility of the relationship being very unbalanced because of that, ich old not be healthy for you.

So I would proceed very cautiously.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should wait until you're 18. Because assholes have decided that you can't make decisions about your bodily autonomy until a certain calendar day of this year.

8. robclem21

I would like to point out here that you don't even know yet how he would take dating a 17 year-old. You mentioned he doesn't even know. I would tell him your true age and see how he decides to proceed before you even starting worrying about your feelings for him.

There is a good chance he might be turned off once he hears your age, and that is nothing personal against you, but as chip said, he may realize its not a great idea. At his age he is graduated from college and likely working, and you are in high school still or just finishing.

Food for thought.

9. King

Once you tell him that you are 17 he may feel that is he is taking advantage of you and back away from you.

There is nothing wrong with that, as he may be looking to settle down whilst you want something more serious.

10. Lilli

Lilli Guest

I can only say what I would do in that situation if I was 26 and a 17 yo were interested in me. I wouldnt care what the "connection" was, I would run.

Even at my age I wouldn't consider more than 5 years younger... even that seems like a lot sometimes.

11. Smoochies

Smoochies Guest

He's much older than you.

12. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell him your age and see what he says.

13. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to tell him your age. Otherwise you'd put him in an incredibly awkward position if he discovered your age once you guys started dating or met in person.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From Wikipedia:

Texas
    The age of consent in Texas is 17 (Texas Penal Code Section 21.11). However, "...It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor...was not more than three years older than the victim and of the opposite sex...(and) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the victim at the time of the offence" and is not a registered sex offender Section 21.11 (b), Section 22.011 (e).
    Section 21.12 further prohibits all sexual contact between an employee of a school (including educators) and a student enrolled at the primary or secondary school where said employee works (unless the student is the employee's spouse). No age is specified by the statute (thus, even if the student has reached consent age of 17, it is still a violation), and violations are a second degree felony.

So it's 17, as long as he isn't your teacher. When I was 19, I dated a guy 15 years older for 3 years. We had a great relationship, though it didn't last forever...then I met a guy my own age, who I've been with for about 20 years. I'm still friends with my first lover, and his partner, as is my bf. It's hard to pass judgement on these things, and I have no regrets; it was hard to break up, but the times we did have were well worth it, and it part of the process of growing and learning.

15. ChristianHipstr

For starters, I'm not trying to be the "I'm and adult" teenager, but half my life I've basically had to raise myself, and am extremely mature for my age. And plus we've had a few conversations, and there's no feeling of being on a different level of maturity.

And for the legality, does that mean that since he's more than 3 years older it IS illegal? Or no?

And also, I told him I was 17. He seemed indifferent about it, so I figure he just wants to find the right guy, whether he be a teenager or not.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What the Texas law is saying is that the age of consent is 17, but if one of the parties is under 17, and the other is no more than 3 years older, that's an "affirmative defense" (meaning, it essentially is not prosecutable.) But for someone older than 17, apparently there's no issue.

There are certainly people who are 26 and aren't very mature. If he's in that category (no offense to you), then it could work. If he is a typical, well-adjusted 26 year old, first off, he probably won't be comfortable dating someone with a nine-year age difference, and second off, if he is, that, for me, would be a red flag. Those here who vehemently defend age-gap relationships would, of course, beg to differ, but what data (anecdotal and in the psych literature) exists supports the idea that large age gaps are almost always problematic when the younger person is under 25.

So... proceed at your own risk. I understand why, if it feels like a good connection, it would be hard to just walk away from it, and I'm not saying that under no circumstances should you do it, but I am saying that, no matter how mature you are for your age, a nine-year age gap where the younger person is 17 is unlikely to yield a healthy relationship in the long term, for a variety of reasons.

17. QueerQueen

I have been in a relationship with someone who is now 18 and I 25, she's in university and I'm done school. I have always been one to only date people around my age, until I moved and my next door neighbor and her friends were the only people I hung out with for a while, so now my group of friends are 18+ but truthfully there is only really one other person than the girl I dated that is 18 who I actually get along with well and in March she will be 19.

I guess it depends how well you get along with each other, but it is a lot more unlikely that you guys will connect well then people who are around the same age or people who are in the same stage of their lives. In my relationship I found myself asking a couple of times if she was comfortable with our age gap and she always told me she was, so I didn't feel too bad about it and truthfully I still have feelings for her. I personally think it's fine as long as you are both really comfortable with the age gap and want the same things.

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

As a 22-year-old, I had a bad turn with a 17-year-old once (well, a month shy of 18), and since then I've tended to avoid people who say they are "18" on apps. But my own circumstances are quite unique.

I don't know if 26 and 17 are maybe a little too far apart, and are in totally different stages of life. I mean, at 23, some of my best dates have been 19-year-olds, but I feel like we are still in similar stages of life. (And if anything they ask me if I'm lying about my age on the apps/sites to make me seem older).

But your 26-year-old potential bf will be turning 30 the same year you become old enough to buy a beer (or an Appletini, your preference :wink:). It could be a little weird.

Though age gaps tend to become less significant the older you both get. A 16-year-old and a 25-year-old may be lightyears apart and a definite no-no, while a 40-year-old and a 49-year-old really aren't in much different stages of life and could easily work as a relationship.

If you two somehow end up as soulmates, I don't think it would be seen as a weird for a 39-year-old to have a 30-year-old boyfriend.

I think it's mainly just that teen-to-young-adult transition that can be difficult for a 17-26 relationship to weather.

So in general age gaps can be a huge obstacle to overcome. But there are exceptions.

I know one old married couple who live in a big house up on the hill with 4 kids, 3 in college, 1 in law school, father is a federal judge, mother manages buildings, he is 13 years older than she is. He's almost 70 while she is in her mid-50s. I wouldn't dare suggest that there is something psychologically maladjusted about either of them. So sometimes things are meant to be, and love can overcome age gaps.

19. setnyx

i second that. i have been the older and the younger one.