1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy I've been talking to for over a year suddenly "not interested anymore" :(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by st33v, Feb 21, 2014.

1. st33v

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all. This is my first post on this site and really on any forum that deals with personal issues. This sort of just happened this morning, and being in the closet I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice or what not, I just need to get this out. I'll try not to make it super long.

Short background - I'm a 24 year old gay guy from a small city, and the only people who know are those I've hooked up with or 'seen' (I haven't had a relationship with a guy).
    Over a year ago (Dec 2012) I started talking to this cute guy online, but in my city, and we texted nonstop for a week before I met him. After a few drinks, we went to his place to smoke and play video games. We ended up hooking up and it was amazing. I only saw him in person once more after that, a few weeks later. We texted each other pretty often, and although the bulk of our conversations were based on sex (i.e., how much we wanted to ****), we did mention off hand that we liked each other, but he seemed annoyed that I was closeted. I should mention that throughout all this, this was sort of an 'open' relationship - while we texted often and did have some feelings, we would openly hook up with others and it didn't bother either of us. Anyways. His attitude started getting strange - every once in a while, mid-conversation, he'd say something that I would make me think he really wasn't interested. Then eventually, out of nowhere he blew up at me, threatened to out me to everyone i know, etc... and it was the most hurt anyone has made me. We texted back and forth and he was really acting out of line... so I stopped texting him back. That killed me... I thought about him almost every minute of every day.

A week later and he messages as if nothing had happened. I responded, because of course I did still like him. But I did let him know that he was being a total asshole. We just kinda talked and forgot about it. Kept texting as usual, and our relationship was getting stronger. He was preparing to move to Korea for 2 years for a teaching job, and we both really wanted to hang out before he left, but he texted less and less, and didn't want to hang out because he didn't want to get too attached, and I understood that. It was hard for both of us.

He left for Korea, but we still texted every now and then. It was sort of like texting every few days for a week, don't speak for another week, etc... weird I know. At one point he had a boyfriend for a month or so, and if we did text it was just friendly conversation, and it didn't actually bother me that he was seeing someone. I should again mention that the majority of these texts were things like "i want you in my bed" kind of texts, flirting hardcore and sending dirty pics. But we did like each other. We knew that it was bad timing that he was leaving for Korea, etc... Once I mentioned that I pictured myself with him down the road, and I was only really half-joking. He said the same thing back to me, probably half-joking as well, but I really did like him a lot... I really did picture myself with him.

Anyways, the other day I sent him a pic, and this morning, he simply responds "Not interested anymore". I responded "lol, okay?" and shortly after noticed that he deleted me off facebook. My heart dropped. Was I so meaningless to him that he can just stop talking to me out of nowhere? What did I do? I messaged him (not on facebook, but the app we used to text - it's not simply texting as he was in Korea) and said something like "Is there any chance you'd like to talk about this one last time before never speaking to me again?" But instead of waiting for a response... I decided to delete the messaging app. I figured that would give me the 'upper hand' - the 'I don't give a fuck about you either'. But I do. That's why I didn't block him off facebook (I could still see his profile) and I have a feeling that's why he didn't block me - he probably didn't want to 'delete me forever', as facebook was the only way we could ever have contact. Just tonight though, I decided - how could someone treat me this way with no warning, and without even thinking that I might be really hurt by it? So I decided to block him. It kills me, we can't talk to each other, ever, unless I decide to unblock him.

Thanks for reading.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here are my observations: You both were happy with a NSA relationship, but this guy was unhappy about you being closeted. That's pretty reasonable because to many out people, being in the closet is like denying your "love" (whether it be emotional or just physical) for them. Maybe he felt used by you, as if he were like a mistress.

Also, it seems that texting is too casual between you two. If things were really getting bad, talking in person or on the phone might have helped. I think he had feelings for you, which might explain his emotional outburst and threats to out you. Of course, that's a very bad way to deal with such emotions, but love can make people do crazy things.

If this guy really means a lot to you, you need to contact him in a non-digital manner. Otherwise, learn from this experience and move on.