1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jealous of my sister...not sure why

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by femmeinpink, Feb 22, 2014.

1. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My 18 year old younger sister has been dating a guy for 2 months. It's been the roughest 2 months of my life, because I'm constantly having to hear about him and their relationship and it's driving me nuts. On the one hand, I'm happy for her for being in a relationship because she's wanted this for a long time and this is her first, but at the same time I'm incredibly jealous and I'm not quite sure why.

I'm 21 years old, a college graduate and I've NEVER been in a relationship...like ever. It's not that I'm opposed to one, it's just that I've only in the past 6 months or so really figured out who I am and who I like. Plus I'm introverted so it's not really a surprise that I've never been in a relationship. I'm at the point now where I'd love to be with a girl, but it's not the best time because I'll probably be moving in a few months and starting a job and a new life, etc.

I'm just incredibly jealous that my sister has this seemingly amazing relationship. And that my mom and her are constantly talking about it. I know they try to be secretive, but I'm pretty sure my sister is having sex with this guy and it upsets me. Not just that she's my baby sister and I still see her as a child (she's still in high school though) but that she's having sex before me. I do NOT want to have sex with a guy at all, so it strikes me as a little weird that I'm jealous that she is. I'm not attracted to her boyfriend at all or anything like that because I prefer girls and honestly I don't really get how she's attracted to him but I think I'm just jealous of the relationship they have. I want something like that for myself and I feel like it'll never happen :icon_sad:

I think also the fact that my mom makes a huge deal about their relationship makes me upset. I've tried coming out to her before and she kind of denied the whole thing and it just makes me feel like when I do come out again, she'll just downplay my sexuality and future relationships just because they're not the same as my sister's.

I just need advice how to approach this issue. Should I try coming out again to my family? And how can I stop feeling so jealous of my sister? Generally, I'm pretty okay in my sexuality but being faced with my sister's straight relationship every day makes me feel less confident and I'd like to know how I can own my sexuality and be proud of it no matter what!