1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being abusive to my mom?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Techno Kid, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

We have a loving relasionship most of the time, but when she helps me with my math (she is my tutor) I get quick to anger... or at least being upset. As she is trying to explain something I tense up and look the other way, I argue with her and say she is wrong, when I don't really know how to do it anyway. When she corrects my work I feel like I am under attack and react badly to anything she says. So math time is hell for both of us and we are both phisically and emosionally drained after it. I did not even realize I was doing anything wrong until my dad said I was being abusive.

How can I hold my feelings in when I feel she is wrong or while she is correcting my work? I feel really guilty about this stuff :tears: ... I have said sorry many times, but go right back to my ways when we do math together. :frowning2:

2. Gillean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea I understand. I have trouble accepting criticism from my parents, and assuming that for you, this problem only occurs with your parents, I would suggest finding a friend or sibling to help you instead. If this isn't possible, try to sit down and talk with your mom about why you get angry.

3. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recommend getting a different tutor

4. setnyx

a different tutor is good but sounds like you are most frustrated with yourself (because of math ) believe me i get that lol. maybe a talk would be warranted, when you are NOT angry that is.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I've never had this problem, so it's hard to understand why you would get upset. It seems illogical for math, probably the least controversial subject. You need to be more objective and realize when she corrects you she's not calling you incompetent. Maybe you have dyscalculia.