1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The man I am talking to is a raging alcoholic.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by andrew812, Feb 24, 2014.

1. andrew812

andrew812 Guest

I have been talking to this wonderful guy for about 2 weeks, and I have started to notice that he drinks a lot. I'm not totally against drinking alcohol, but I can't control myself around alcohol. Last year I almost completely eliminated my consumption of alcohol, and it took a lot of hard work. Is it the best thing for both of us to go our separate ways?

2. burg

maybe it is.im a very light drinker these days. personally i find it hard to be around drinking if im not drunk.but often that depends on whos doing the drinking. some people arnt that bad.congrats on cutting your own consumption.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say yes.

If you know you have difficulties controlling your alcohol consumption, then for your own health and well-being (as well as to avoid having further problems with alcohol) you are probably best to let it go.

Otherwise, you're basically asking him to change who he is for your benefit, and even if he's willing to do that, it is likely to create resentment for him, may impact his friendships (people who drink generally hang out with people who drink), and may put you at risk.

It sucks, but one of the most basic tenets of maintaining sobriety for people who struggle with it is avoiding situations and people that don't support your sobriety.

4. setnyx

yes, imo you should go your separate ways. you can't let him take you down with him. i was in a situation like this, i tried to save D. but i started drinking more and more. i nearly lost myself in alcohol.

5. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say yes. If you can't control yourself around alcohol and worked so hard to eliminate it out of your life and he loves to drink, there will probably be some conflict between you too.