1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rooming with anti-gay person?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cas, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Cas

Cas

I was awarded a prestigious scholarship recently. There are two kids from each state in the nation who won it, and we're all going to a big conference soon where we'll accept our scholarship, learn leadership skills, etc... I've come into contact with the other girl in my state who won it, because we'll be going on the plane to the conference together and staying in the same hotel room. Sounds great, right?
    But here's the dilemma. I just learned that she doesn't like homosexuality in any kind. And I'm bisexual. And we're going to be together a lot throughout the conference.
    Even if I hide my orientation during the trip, I'm afraid that I'll be uncomfortable the whole time because she wouldn't like me if I told her.
    I don't know what to do, honestly. I'm not really looking forward to the conference now because I'm scared.
    Help?

2. Simple Thoughts

Oh well don't let some girl you don't even know get you down.

Seriously, you're going to be going out to do something that most people never ever get the chance to do. It's a wonderful opportunity and no homophobe should ever be allowed to have the power to strip you of your enthusiasm.

You should hold your head up high and be proud about who you are. If she doesn't like it that's too bad, she'll just have to be grumpy for the whole trip because you deserve to be comfortable in who you are ^.^

3. GayDadStr8Marig

Just be yourself. If the question comes up and she gives you an attitude, ask her how she could possibly be smart enough to earn this scholarship and yet be so incredibly ignorant? And, if she gets nasty or abusive about it, contact the front desk and/or the organizers to let them know how you're being harassed. They won't want word to get out about sanctioning that kind of behavior.

4. Simple Thoughts

^ What he said.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will strongly urge you not to do it. I had a horrible experience in college with a very homophobic roommate and it was very intimidating and depressing. It ruined my college experience basically although it was a one year program.

It really depends on the situation if you can be open and honest and withstand her homophobia than I wouldn't worry about it. If it is too much to handle I would act on finding a more open minded roommate.

6. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What GayDadStr8Marig said.

Don't let some girl stop you from achieving your dreams. Don't ever let anyone pull you down from your dreams. Be subtle about it, but also defend yourself if need be. It's really hard to ruin a college experience, with all the support there is nowadays at schools.

7. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol... don't get me started on stupid people winning scholarships...

Anyway, just don't worry about it. Personally, if I know someone's homophobic, I usually just try to ignore it and be friendly to them anyway.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if that was directed at me about ruining a college experience but I know first hand college can be just as worse as high school depending on where the college is and how big it is.

I had a severely homophobic roommate who was had cocky homophobic eagle scout from a very evangelical family and he was so horrible and hypocritical in so many ways. He raped his girlfriend who was a vulnerable adult and was the most hateful person I have ever meant in my life. I felt so close to suicide it is not even funny. The landlord or the school did not even care about his actions and he got away with so shit it is not even funny.

Sorry if I am got too passive and I made other posts about this topic if your interested.