1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First type posting after lengthy lurking, if you can't help, just listen to my story

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cotillard, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Cotillard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there,

So, it took me quite some time to finally sign up and start posting, but I felt that I might feel a bit better if I share my story. It's not unusual, trust me, you've heard it all before. With that being said, I just can't help but feel like I'm the only person in the world suffering that much emotionally. I'll try to make it as brief as possible.

I'm a university student who was born and lives in Beirut, Lebanon. In case you don't know, Lebanon is a country in the middle east. Compared to the countries neighboring it, Lebanon is culturally and socially advanced. Not as much as the European and North American countries, as Homosexuality is illegal here, but it's still practiced and it's not like the authorities give a damn. But I digress.

I'm closeted. I only came out to some of my friends, a handful of them only. With that being said, most people around me kind of doubt my sexuality. I'm not feminine or anything, you probably wouldn't think I'm gay the first time you meet me, but my taste in music, tv shows and movies kinda gives it away, plus, I'm too friendly and befriend a lot of girls so there's that.

I have never dated in my life, and I've had a few opportunities to do so, but the guys that were interested in me just didn't appeal to me. They were merely 2 or 3, and I just didn't feel a connection, so I just didn't even bother.

Sure being single bothered me, and it still does. I feel alone alot. I have tons of friends, I'm academically excellent, and I have a decent family. People like being around me, and most of them expect me to be something big in the not so distant future. On paper, my life is stable and kinda satisfactory, and that was true. Until I fell for the wrong guy.

So, I went to high school with this one guy, we weren't friends really, just classmates. We barely talked and all. When we went to the same university though, we started spending more time together, with our mutual school friends and all. This was about 2 years ago. We formed a solid friendship and enjoyed each other's company.

He's 100% straight. I know that. He is VERY into girls, it takes up 80% of his conversation, and he's kind of a homophobe. He doesn't mind gays but doesn't want to be associated with them. He obviously doesn't know I'm gay.

Throughout these 2 years, we got closer and closer. Our friendship worked. I had NO feelings for him, he was just a great friend. Until this past summer when I finally fell for him, and I just stopped treating him as my friend and kinda treated him as a boyfriend. I get jealous over petty stuff. I fight with him over silly stuff. Stuff like, why didn't you reply to my text quickly or how did you criticize me like that? Stuff that I never fought with him, or any friend, over.

Maybe it's because we spent too much time together, but I just fell for him. I love him so much. And it's not love at first sight kinda thing, I don't believe in that. This love came after friendship. I saw all his flaws and loved them anyways. I wouldn't change a thing. And the thing is, we're opposites. I'm sensitive and I get too attached, he's emotionally detached and casual. I'm only decent-looking, and compared to him I'm so basic cause he's so good looking and attractive. He gets a lot of girls, but he's not ready for commitment so he just has fun, whereas I don't get any guys, but I'm looking for commitment. He's rational and logical but kinda selfish, I'm at times irrational and hot-headed, but I help a lot. He has a sweet heart though, and doesn't hold grudges, and I am that way too.

He really loves me as a friend. We're still close, we still spend so much time together, and he trusts me a lot. But, we fight alot over my expectations of him. We fight over the fact that we fight alot. It's all my fault, and he's running out of patience. I don't blame him. If I had a friend like that, I would've ditched them a long time ago. But he puts up with me cause he knows when it comes to it, I am a good friend and I always have his back, and when we're good, we're great.

So I don't know what to do, we graduate in a year and I'm traveling probably and he is too so it kills me just to think of that. And until then, I don't want to ruin our friendship.

I just get so jealous when he tells me about the girls he's with. I feel like I deserve him more than they do but I'm aware of the fact that he's just not physically capable of loving me that way. I got it. I got that. And I'm not stupid to think oh he could change his sexuality one day. He won't. But I can't like or think of anyone else. He's always there. I think of him 24/7. I just adore him. I wouldn't mind giving my life away if it meant I could spend one day with him as lovers before I die. That's how much I want him. I've never loved anyone that way, not even close. Again, he is very imperfect. But I just don't care. He couldn't do anything that'd make me not feel so strongly. All attempts to save me from him would fail. I'm making an effort to be less of a drama starter, it works for some time, but like the moment he talks about girls or the moment I feel he isn't giving me the attention I deserve, I go back to being irrational and start picking fights.

It doesn't help that in Lebanon, there isn't really a place you can go to meet guys. The few gay pubs are pretty much filled with only fem gays, and though that's very okay and normal, they're just not my type. And I don't find any online forum or site where Lebanese gays can interact. I've searched. If you can find any, please link me. But I didn't find. And when you're gay in Lebanon, you can't just hit on someone and try your luck. If he's straight, which will be the most likely option, he would either punch you or oust you, and I'm not ready to come out yet.

So,

1) How do I get over him?

2) How do I meet new guys, who might help me forget about him?

And please, coming out is not option, either to him or the public. I'm not ready, so please respect that.

I'm hoping this will help me in any way or form cause I've really had enough. I feel like shit all the type and it's pushing people away. I want to be happy again.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2014 at 06:48 PM ----------

all the time* (last sentence)

2. Cotillard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: First type posting after lengthy lurking, if you can't help, just listen to my st

For some reason, the thread title is also "type" instead of time. I'm dumb today.

3. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: First type posting after lengthy lurking, if you can't help, just listen to my st

Well, I've been in a kind of similar position. I understand that in this moment you feel so strongly that you can't possibly imagine that one day you might not feel this way about him. But I can guarantee you that you WILL get over him eventually and feel better for it. My advice is to start spending less time with him, and try and spend time with other friends or perhaps meeting new ones. Watch movies, read books, exercise, anything that can get your mind off him in the meantime (but prioritise spending time with other people).

Good luck!

4. setnyx

putting physical and emotional distance between you should help. friends do that alot when a parting of the ways is coming up. also with the change in your actions towards him i'm kinda surprised he hasn't guessed your new feelings towards him.

5. Cotillard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I got that part covered, lol. I made him think I'm straight.

But one time when we fought, he told me "this is not normal". And I was kinda caught off guard when he said that. I dunno, maybe he doubts it a bit every now and then, but as long as I don't confirm it, it'll only be in the back of his head.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2014 at 10:17 PM ----------

And that's the thing, I have a ton of friends. I make new friends all the time, but I would ditch anyone to spend time with him. And like, whatever I try to do, it doesn't distract me from thinking of him. Case in point, I just went for a 2 hour walk, and I was thinking of him from start to finish, I even passed by AUB, my university, and his house on the way back, just hoping I'd bump into him or something. It's become a sickness. When I try to detach myself from him for a few days, it's better for my brains but I just feel so horrible. I once turned my phone off for a few days and I didn't stop thinking of him. Everyone who knows about this tells me that it will pass one day, but I don't think it will. I have NEVER dated anyone, this is the first time I fall in love with a person. I'm someone who's very aware of his feelings and I never felt that way about anyone. They say that first loves last forever and hell, I don't want that. I am really emotionally drained. I will never get attached a guy friend that much anymore. And it's just no fair, you know? When I think about it, it's like, I'm thinking of him 24/7, worrying about everything he does, helping him with literally everything, and I don't think I'm that much of a priority in his life. Family & girls are his priority, then friends, and even then, I'm one of his closest friends, but he doesn't really have one closest friend. He just has half a dozen that he considers his best friends. So yeah I know I went off topic and am ranting but it's just not fair.

6. thedudeabides

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

I can only offer my sympathy because i'm going through the same thing. Actually just posted about it lol. My best friend is my first love as well. Your story is touching and I wish i could help you. Just know that i'm in the same boat. Hopefully we'll both make it out of this without having to lose a friend.

7. Cotillard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

It's sad, isn't it? It sucks to know you're going through the same thing, but a bit comforting to realize that I'm not the only one. This unrequited love is just a different way to bleed.

8. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

I had a crush just like that, it was horrible, and it brought out very ugly aspects of my personality I hope I never, ever display again. I would get jealous whenever he would talk to anyone for more than a few minutes (man or woman), I would pick fights over insignificant things, like why he wouldn't come to my desk and say hi, or why once in a while he would not have lunch with me. Then I would apologize for acting crazy and then we would be okay again.

Stuff hit the fan when he got divorced from his wife and I eventually told him about my feelings for him... he got really mad, a short time later we stopped being friends. It took a long time to get over him, because we were coworkers and I had to see him everyday, and he would date girls from the office and pretty much showed them off to me... that was pretty bad.

I ended up getting promoted to a different department and didn't see him at all anymore. I have to say that "out of sight out of mind" is completely true; after such a long time with these intense feelings, it took just a few months of not seeing him to get over the whole thing.

Looking back on it, I realize that his constant presence in my life was the fuel for those feelings, and it becomes a vicious cycle, because the more you like him, the more time you want to spend with him, and the more time you spend with him, the stronger your feelings are, so it does not stop.

Distance will be the best thing that can happen. It may not seem that way at first, but you will get over it. I know it is easier said than done, but try to avoid picking fights, that's just jealousy pushing you to act irrationally, and if you keep doing it, he will get sick of it. Absolutely don't tell him about your feelings for him; if he is straight that will never change.

More important, though, learn from this experience so you don't make the same mistakes again. I learned to have much better control of my emotions, and have a better handle on the boundaries of my friendships.

#8 Aquaman, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  9. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well you see, there's the problem. Going for a 2 hour walk is the exact opposite of what you want to do. It's just a solitary activity that makes you mull over your feelings for him. I understand, I used to do the same thing (going for 3 hour bike rides to my friend's suburb hoping I'd run into him). And yeah, people also told me that one day I'd get over him, and, like you, I thought that was bullshit and that I would never get over him.

I recommend movies, tv or books, and activities with friend groups as much as possible. Don't cut off contact with him completely, but try to limit, perhaps to once a week, then once every two weeks etc.

10. Cotillard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

That first paragraph is identical to what I do. I get jealous over the dumbest stuff, things I shouldn't even notice.

Before that I was a completely different person. People saw me as a focused, ruthless, who will stop at nothing to create a better future for himself. Now I just feel so weak and it sucks. He knows that I'm in a horrible mood now and he tries to talk me out of it, little does he know that he's the reason behind all that.

I'm just too emotionally attached to even consider liking anyone else. He's everything in my life, and I don't think I'll even stop loving him. I might tuck him away in my memory if distance separated us, but I know for a fact that I will never come close to loving anyone as much as I love him, and that kills me.

11. jazzcourse

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Hey Cotillard, I'm in a very very similar place too.

I just posted for the first time, too, after a lot of lurking, because I just want to feel better and BE better too. Like you said, I really struggle finding out guys I can be attracted to, so I've ended up with blurred friendships that are insanity inducing. I had to laugh about the long walks and bike rides someone else mentioned-- I honestly think I've been lurking on this site hoping, one day, to read a post that was his. Feels pathetic to say it.

Like you said, I used to have so much focus, and now I feel so weak.

I know we can get it together, and get back to where we need to be. Just sending you support, and hope we can both get our legs underneath us and run toward where we need to be.

12. BucKeTz

Sorry to hear that mate. I'm afraid my advice might not be the best as I have never been in your situation. i also don't know your environment well enough. I would say just hold on to the friendship, but don;t let yourself look for more. I have had a few straight crushes and though they were most likely not to your level, I still wanted to be more than friends with them. In the end, I just told myself that I would not like it if a girl didn't respect my orientation and that I would need to do the same for them. It managed to clear my head enough to remember that they were friends and will be nothing more, allowing me to move on. Also, I am still closeted, so maybe that influenced my decision, I can't say.

13. Cotillard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I agree. Sometimes I'm in a good mood, and solitary walks rejuvenate me, but when I'm depressed, which is 95% of the time, they make it worse. And yeah, I just don't think I ever will get over him. I'm getting more and more attached to him. We've all had regular crushes, mine would last a couple of weeks tops, but this like, this is real, you know? When the VERY few people who know I'm gay ask me how I know it's love, I just dunno how to answer them. You just know. I'd be willing to take a bullet for him, if that's not love, I don't know what is.

And trust me, these little distractions only work for a while. I'm a pretty sociable guy so I have a lot of friends, and I hang out with them a lot, and I watch tons of shows/movies. I have different hobbies too, and a part time job. But nothing, absolutely nothing, gets my mind off him.

14. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I understand. If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I've ever had a crush... I've only had something that is pretty much what you describe to have here, and yeah, I loved him (and I still do). And I also used to never be able to distract myself, and I would just keep thinking about him and getting jealous over small things and putting all my energy into him.

But I'm in a better place now. I know my situation isn't exactly the same as yours, of course, but hopefully this might give you some hope that you'll feel better soon. For me, it took lots acceptance, gradual separation and medication.

When I say I never had a crush, I don't mean that I've never admired guys or thought they were cute of wished I could be with them, it's just that I never really got upset over them or obsessed at all, until that one guy...

15. Beetle

I'm sorry. I'm going through the same thing. Falling in love with the straight best friend is the absolute worst. I've been trying to get over it and my feelings just keep growing stronger...but I'm confident once I put myself out there and meet more lesbians (I don't know any) I can probably get over her. It's hard though...she's so different than me but so perfect at the same time and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. It'll be hard to get over.

I guess try and distance yourself a little, but not completely, and meet new people? I dunno man, I understand how hard it is to keep your mind off someone. I really can't either.

Good luck. *hugs*

16. Cotillard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Thanks man, appreciate the support.