1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I cut ties with my homophobic mom?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by doctoryanstone, Feb 25, 2014.

1. I started having fantasies about the future. I want to badly one day to get married with a man, have three kids and maybe a couple of dogs. I deeply have this desire on me. I want to build a family. But my mom wouldn't be part of my life at this point.

She absolutely hates gays, today she was talking to me about a law in some country where gays receive death penalty, and she said "That's how it was supposed to be everywhere, don't you think?" I immeadiately tried to changed the subject but she kept insisting "DON'T YOU THINK?!" so I said "yes, yes". If I'd say no she would have suspects, and the last thing I want is her knowing that I'm gay.

So, this is it. She wants to see her own son dead.

But don't get me wrong, guys. I love my mom. I surely do.

She's always done everything she could to raise me well, as my father abandoned us. She always bought expensive gifts to me, such as cell phones, notebooks, records... And I have a good relationship with her, she always gives me advices when I need. She is a good mom, I'd say. Except for her homophobia, because to be a 100% good parent you need to accept your child no matter what, with the condition that he/she is not affecting anybody's life. Whom am I affecting for simply being gay?

I don't blame her. My grandfather was a great homophobe too, so he actually taught all of his children to be this way. It wasn't her fault, she simply wasn't born on a decent enviroment. She is what her parents made her.

Back to the point, I want to have a family. With another man. She would never accept that. Seeing her own son marrying another man would be a gross vision for her.

Please, PLEASE don't tell me to be honest with her and just rub on her face that I'm gay. Things are not that easy. Just because your folks are open-minded doesn't mean everybody else will be. She HATES gays, come on! She supports death penalty for us! She would never accept me as I am.

She would expulse me of her home, shout curse words against me, maybe even hit me. And tell me to never come back. Once my mom puts something on her mind, nobody can change it, she's very unreasonable. So I couldn't ask other relative to talk to her aftermath, specially because EVERYBODY on my family are homophobics. Yes, this is possible! An entire family! I don't have support of absolutely anybody, so the day I come out, I would be alone on this world.

There are some gays that leave their family behind and go be happy if they cannot accept them. But I don't know if I can do it. I'm my mom's only child. She has only me, as she has no husband. If at least I had brothers or she were married... that just make things even worse.

I would probably remember her everyday, thinking that she's getting old and I'm not there to take care of her, she will be probably watched by a nurse and not her son...

I don't know what to do. I want so badly to have a family once, but just knowing that my own mother would never respect that, my children would never meet their grandmother, my husband would never meet his mother-in-law, and she wouldn't be part of my happiest moments (my kids being born and my marriage) it really hurts.

So what do I do? Do I cut ties with her then? But the image of her growing old without me breaks my heart. Do you think that on her final moments she would get rid of her prejudices and just call me to see me for one last time?

Anyway, I really needed to get it off my chest. Sorry for any writing mistake, I'm in a hurry here and I don't have time to correct it. Thanks everybody who read it, it would be friggin' sweet if you have an advice. I really need it.

2. Nick07

Get independent, move out and live your life. It is very well possible that she has no idea what being gay means and if you come out to her, she will change her mind. Slowly, but she will.

No one here can tell you to leave your mom. How could we? We know you just from this one post and we don't know her.

Don't underestimate the power of mother's love.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the situation is too horrible I would wait to tell her anything until you can financially support yourself and I would consider all options so you can get to that point and be financially secure when you do come out. For a lot of people who are homophobic they are stuck in their world and while some do change their hearts and minds many stick with the same dialog and they take it to their grave.

When it comes to cutting ties it is all up to you and she may however leave you no choice but disown you for being gay. It is all what will makes you feel safe and happy.
    For me personally I don't care if their family or not I don't tolerate homophobia like that in my life and if that is the way their gonna be I am better off without them. I hope it all goes well for you.

4. TB8

TB8

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    while i was reading this i found a alot of similar shoot i felt like i was reading something i wrote it sounded so similar to my life the only difference is i have a dad and a mom there both divorce but my dad still is around to control our life like scareing my mom that he gonna leave her out the street and stuff so he can like do what whatever he wants to us and i have a older sister but she goes to college so i only live with my mother and me too almost my WHOLE my family if homophobic and im also planning on leaveing my family and i feel the same way you do leaveing my family not getting to show them my happiness without getting dirty looks or punish and i totally agree with you about not wanting to tell her about it or not even wanting to talk about it!! :dry: heres some of my homophobic storys maybe you can relate with some (maybe not but maybe)
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/114186-should-i-change-who-i-am.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/121217-good-reason.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/126238-my-decision-dumb.html

but anyway dont let that women put you down i cant believe she thinks we should die:icon_sad: thats just...wow but anyway just like let her be you said she isnt reasonable right? well you cant change her ways but like i said don't let it get to you:thumbsup: there's always gonna be homophobic people and we try to get since in them but they wont listen its just how life is but when you find that guy that truly loves you maybe your mom will see how happy you are or just throw more hate but even though she like that don't ever forget you care about her and love her and she knows that too but still be there for her even if you end up leavening to another state or somewhere far away never forget(*hug*) and if she ends up saying in the future "i dont want you to be gay" or "i hate you cause your gay" just remember maybe she'll get used to it or maybe not but just remember she loves you (&&&)

5. ice444

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only thing you can do is to become independent and not look back.