1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by spyro657, Feb 27, 2014.

1. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! It has been a very long break from empty closets. Anyways a lot has changed! I am fully out as bi (more on the gay side) and It has been fun so far!

Anyways about last month a internet friend came out to me over skype video call and told me he was gay. I thought it was a perfect time to tell him I was bi because I never told him. Anyways jump ahead a few weeks and he messages me again saying: "I like you, like REALLY like you. And I want to get a little closer as friends" I felt really excited because I have been wanting a boyfriend for the longest time.

Before I continue I just want to say I have been friend with him for well over 2 years so this isn't sudden.

Anyways back on topic. I said yes and he was REALLY excited i could tell he couldn't stop smiling. It has been about a week since he asked me and I am really enjoying it and I can tell he is too. But I have a question

Will this work at all? I mean Its a long distance relationship and we can't do much with each other. I am too young to visit him as he lives about half way cross the country. I just love him a lot and I don't want anything to happen to this and I am a bit worried if it will last or not. Please :help:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends what you mean by 'work'.

Can you have a somewhat meaningful relationship without physical contact? Yes you probably can. It isn't easy, but it can be done...

As for if it can turn in to anything long term...it could but you know...

3. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I remember you (Its been a while lol)

Thanks for it! I just want to be in this relationship as long as possible. I want to visit him as much as possible (Getting a job next year) I talk to him about twice every day for 2-4 hours each session so idk if that helps

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds very similar to my boyfriend and I. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    We are each other's first relationship (started when we were 15), with the added pain of it being long-distance, so I have asked myself the same questions as you - will this even work? Should I emotionally invest myself?

For the longest time, about ten months, I didn't. I chose to believe that because this was my first relationship, it'd probably be filled with teen drama, mixed feelings, overly-strong emotions, and would eventually result in a break-up. And it did! I split up with him for a few months because I wasn't taking our relationship seriously.

But we started talking again and we got back together and I started taking things more seriously. I started investing more time in the relationship, started getting to know him more, started getting more emotionally invested.
    I was skeptical to do this because, like you, I was still worried about this being my first relationship and long-distance.

But I stuck with it.
    Now, I am quite emotionally invested in our relationship, we are both quite serious about this, and now that we are of an age where we can actually make decisions about seeing each other, this relationship has bridged into an actual, not-long-distance relationship.

So, that is my experience.

To answer your question:

Yes, it can work, but it takes time and sacrifice.
    You can't be together IRL (yet), so you need to be good about communication. You need to be understanding of his feelings and be patient with him. Remember, you can't reach out and hold him and comfort him like people in an IRL relationship can, so stress can go unnoticed.

So yes, it can work, but it takes effort on both participant's side.

Can it fail? Yes, it can fail just like my bf and I's did. But maybe that is a necessary step for success.

My biggest advice for you:
    Take your time. You are 14. You have all the time in the world for this relationship. You don't need to hurry into this. You don't have to understand everything at first.
    That is part of what a first relationship is.

I'm telling you all of these things, and other people will give you advice, but in the end, you're going to have to experience it to know and learn from it.

I am more than willing to continue to talk about this, so please, ask more questions or comment if you have something. I just don't want to keep rambling. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Eager for a response. ^_^

Edit: My bf and I have been together for two years now. Realized I didn't include this.

5. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! I am glad I am not the only one going through this. It has been a short time and we are both enjoying it very much. We actually don't have an issue with a long distance relationship because of today's technology. We use skype literally all the time and when we are not on that we text all the time. It also helps that we are both doing online school so no waiting for the other person to get home. Thanks for everything! I will defiantly try and keep in touch with you I love hearing the experiences of other people in the same situation

:thumbsup:

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... out of interest, how did you meet him? I'm guessing it was an online game or something...

anyway... I personally think relationships work better when the people know each other irl. But, go ahead and see how it goes :slight_smile:

7. spyro657

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was through an IRC that I go on (I do website and game design) and he happened to join and he needed help with something. I went ahead and helped him with it and we have been friends ever sense

8. BooBear10

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would definitely depend on both of you. It's gonna be hard though, given that it's a long distance relationship. Based on my own experience, if you're both committed then it's pretty doable :thumbsup: I should know. I've been in one. My girlfriend had to go somewhere else for college and we were far away for almost two years. No meet-ups, only through calls, texts, and Skype. And it was absolutely worth it. It's not IMPOSSIBLE.(!)