1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crush on straight friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Worthy_Of, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worthy_Of

I am currently a senior in high school. During my first semester, I felt almost lonely and empty the entire time, despite the fact that I have many great friends.

Now that it is second semester, I am taking another class which I have every single school day. In this class, I sit next to a guy who is now my friend. He is the most attractive person (appearance-wise) I've met at this high school; I'd described him as the rocker type with spiky hair and nice facial hair. Personality-wise, he's even more attractive; he is extremely funny yet quite intelligent. He can be so random and odd at times, but so can I!

At first, I was a bit awkward acting around him, but now I can have an enjoyable conversation with him, although there are still awkward moments every now and then. I am sure he is straight, and I'm sure he knows I'm gay because he said I was a faggot when he was talking to his other friend before I really got to know him (or at least I think it was directed at me; but I'm generally a calm and forgiving person). He makes what could have been the most boring class ever into the class that I look foward to the most. He can be moody at times, but I can be as well; I can be a bit sensitive of the way he feels - whenever he's in a bad mood, I get in a bad mood, and whenever he's energetic, I get energetic.

The sad thing is is that I think about him way more than he thinks about me; for all I know, I probally disappear from his mind the moment he leaves the classroom. In contrary, he occupies a great majority of my thoughts (I have had dreams of him for the past two nights). I wish I could control myself, but I don't know how. So the question is, how can I control myself and lessen my obsession with him? I don't want to not talk to him anymore because he's a pretty cool fellow. I don't have this problem with all of my other straight male friends, though I think they are all beautiful in their own way and I would probally go after them if one of them turned out to be gay.

I actually felt a bit releived when he didn't show up for class today, but at the same time, it was extremely boring. I can't wait to see him tommorow in class :love:

2. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm I sorta have had something like this happen to me. Well he wasn't in my class and sat next to me cause he is a grade younger than me. But I had chatted to him and what not. I sorta liked his personality and looks. I didn't really think much about it. Then one night i had a dream with him in it. I really wish I didn't... When I even looked at him i built up this awkward tension between us. I know it had to be me doing it... because of my dream. so i can feel for how awkward you feel with him sometimes. I did not act on it or anything and eventually the wierd feeling between us went away... but i don't really talk to him anyways. So i am thinking the same will happen to you... but unfortunately I think it will take longer for you because you are close with him. But hey.. it would be great if he turned out bi or gay for you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I hope if he isn't gay/bi that your feelings for him will vanish for they are pointless and harmful to you. The real question I would ask in this situation is.. what can you learn in this situation? Is it about yourself? characteristics you admire in others? Will your personality grow in any way from your situation? Only you can figure it out... but never give up! I wish you all the luck!

Rob

3. nisomer

i think all you can do is just continue to be friends...i wouldnt expect anything more of it.

4. dfgnan21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A lot of us have had similar situations.... falling for a straight guy. But there isn't anything you can do about it sadly. You can't change him obviously. I had crushes on straight guys in high school, but you get over it with time.

Great advice from Rob. You can learn something from this (i.e. the qualities you are looking for in a potential love interest, maybe he possess some qualities you'd like to have, etc.). I would focus more on finding someone who can share your feelings though. I hope it all works out for you and welcome to EC.

5. Worthy_Of

Thanks all! Afer thinking about it, there is alot to learn from this situation. I'd like to come out to him, which is going to be difficult since I've never come out to a straight guy before. If he accepts me, then I'll know that I've made a good friend; If he doesn't, then I'll be hurt a bit, but at least he'll be out of my mind. I prefer to be quiet about being gay, but how am I ever going to find that "someone special" if I keep hiding it?

Also, I really admire his sense of humor and his will be different and unique. I've noticed that I am loosening up a bit and showing my humorous side, so I suppose I am trying to be like him in a way. I learn a lot from my friends, and I haven't really noticed it until now!

So yes, I have learned something :slight_smile:

This spring break is a bore, and I can't wait to go back to school (yeah, its quite a shocker for a high school student to actually enjoy going to school and hate staying home - summer is torture for me - ). I also realize that I only have less than 8 weeks of school left, and I want to show as much love and appreciation to my friends because theres a chance that I'll never see them again. Hopefully, he thinks of me as a good friend, because that's whats most important to me right now. I used to be more of a lonely/quiet guy in my earlier years in school, so I definately know how to appreciate all of the good friends I have as of now.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to drop by again soon!

#5 Worthy_Of, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  6. Baconjunkie123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I was in love with my best friend, but then she started flirting with an, um, jerk. I got kind of clingy and she hates me now but she still doesnt know. I dont even care that she hates me, all i can think of is that one sleepover where she got hot and slept with just a sports bra ... Sorry. Anyway, I too need to come to terms on the fact that shes straight. But i can relate.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread is from years ago. Please check the date that the last post was made before posting..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.