1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convincing (EX) best friend that being gay is a choice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ravi-VIXX777, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Ravi-VIXX777

So as of now I decided to end my relationship with my best friend for 4 years because our different views. He's pretty religious and conservative.

Anyways, his would I go about doing this because I've used a ton of arguments, but it's so far out their for him to understand. I'm asking him this because I want to know why he thinks this way.

Note: this is NOT to start a debate on whether orientation is a choice or not?!

2. PurpleGrey

I think people believe that heterosexuality is the default, and thus a person has to become something else to be something else. Any further than that, I can't comprehend. It's like, "I like the same sex and not the opposite sex, so I became gay." That's as far as I can figure it out.

3. BucKeTz

I guess I am a little confused as to what you mean. If you are trying to convince him it is a choice, then PurpleGrey seems to have a decent answer. If you are trying to convince him it is not a choice, then there is plenty of evidence that supports it is genetic. Hope i helped. I am not trying to spur a debate, this is just the best support i have for either side.

4. Ravi-VIXX777

Wow I meant ISNT, that just ruined the entire thread.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "So as of now I decided to end my relationship with my best friend"

My immediate question is why bother to convince him at all? Or at least, why do it right now.

Think about it, you're ending your relationship with this guy anyway. In the most practical sense, he no longer counts among the people you care about. So to you, he is just another homophobe. Now think how much energy and time you are thinking of putting in to persuade him of this. Would you do the same to any other random homophobe?

Or is it the case that actually you are really hoping to change his mind so you can remain friends?

6. Ravi-VIXX777

Well I was considering why he would think so, but you are right. A small part of me still cares.

7. BucKeTz

All right, now that I realize it was a typo, here are some scientifically researched facts. If one twin turns out to be gay, there is a 70% likelihood that the other is as well. Also, after every boy a set of parents have, the likelihood that the next boy will be gay goes up. This is irrelevant to if any previous siblings were gay.

My favorite evidence (not fact) that he is wrong would be to bring up how many times the bible has been wrong in the past. It started with people claiming the bible said that blacks are 2nd class citizens. Then they tried to use the same argument against women. Now they are onto gays.

I have a friend like that and he just gets angry when I bring up these points. If he says something about the only thing that matters is the Bible, Then bring up that eating shellfish is a mortal sin requiring the culprit to be killed. Sadly, I believe that a lot of people will never be convinced, which is why the KKK still exists.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ask him when did he choose to be straight, and how does he know he's not actually bi or gay?

9. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tried this with the Fenner Farley (Rainbow Boys reference if you haven't read the book) at my school and it didn't work. He just pulled the Bible out on my friend and I and proceeded to try and shove it down our throats. I don't think caught on that I'm bi (or the girl that was with me), even though we both dropped some hints.