1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dated, Broke Up, Still In Love

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by greyishercolour, Feb 28, 2014.

1. greyishercolour

I was in a long distance relationship for seven months. Things were going great between us, but she broke up with me a couple weeks ago. She did it because she thinks I should date someone who lives near me instead. I know she loves me, though I'm not sure if she's still IN love with me.

But she was the first person I ever dated, ever loved. We decided to stay friends because we were friends before we dated and neither of us wanted to lose that.

But I'm still in love with her and even though I'm happy when I talk to her it makes me want to cry. I feel horrible all day and I don't know what to do. She was so upset I'd stop being her friend.

I can't talk to my other friends because I'm not out to them.

I don't want to lose this girl but talking to her hurts.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How far is she?

3. StephenSC

I sort of know how you feel... The first (and only) person I've ever loved lives in a different country! I've known him for 10 years and it's sort of come to a point where I honestly know there is no "future" for us but as long as he's in my life I'm blinded to everyone, everything else. I really don't want to be without him, but I can't be "with him" either... It hurts.

My advice, long distance can work (it's rare but it can happen) If your close enough that you can visit each other enough or there is a chance of you moving to be closer in future you could always try to "restart" the relationship. That being said, as things have ended and if you think it's never likely amount to anything serious, maybe it's best not to. As it's only been a couple weeks, give it more time in hopes you can "move on" and gain happiness from remaining as just friends. I really hope you are able to keep your friend and find love, don't give up on that possibility until you must!

If it still hurts to only be friends in a few more weeks/months, maybe it's best to cut ties. Only you'll be able to know what works for you. You need to be honest with ourself, ask what you want from life and how you are most likely to get it... chances are it's not going to be easy either way. I am sorry.

I've not had the strength to "solve" my "problem" yet, I hope you can find the strength to deal with yours. Good luck, your not alone.