1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents are a let-down

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Andstillimhere7, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love my parents, but they are a let-down. Today they said that if we're caught doing drugs that they will disown us, so then I said that your guys aren't going to help us and put us in therapy/rehab? They said no, and that is a huge let-down:/. Really though if you truly love your child you would help them, I don't do drugs but I'm gay and that can tell you that they themselves aren't very loyal to their own children. It's going to be hard coming out because what if they disown me:/ where will I go? Where to go to? It's those questions that just make me sad:frowning2:.

How are your parents?

2. lasthopeofmine

I understand where you're coming from. My parents are trying to send me away for being gay, but I understand that there isn't anything wrong with me. They're the ones with the problem. And I think that once you can accept that and wrap your mind around that, you'll be able to work through it internally with your parents. Parents can be really irrational.

3. Ravi-VIXX777

I agree with lasthopeofmine. Could your parents be using satire/fear for you to obey? Either way, continue living your life and remember you'll get our of there...soon.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't necessarily assume that their reaction to you doing drugs would be the same as their reaction to you coming out. Those are two entirely separate issues, and likely to have two very different responses.

Some people don't understand that addiction is an illness - they think it's a choice. (Sure, you choose whether or not to first try drugs, but no one chooses to get addicted to them.) They think if they just take a hard line about it, their kids won't do drugs or will stop if they do. This doesn't mean they don't care about their kids, just that they think the best way to deal with drug use is to be hard-line about it. And there are many parents who feel this way about drugs, but wouldn't even dream of kicking out a child for their orientation.

5. Munyal

I don't know your parents, but I would say that this is probably a way for them to feel control over your life. A lot of people have an innate need to feel control, such as my mom. A fact of life is that some things are uncontrollable, which is a scary fact to face. Your parents are likely scared for you, and need to feel control over your life. It is twisted, and I could be totally wrong about this, but that is my running theory. Whatever happens, good luck!

6. Aelan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what to tell you my friend. My parents literally threw me out on the street nearly naked when they caught me with a girl. And I mean literally I was half naked , got screamed at about God and family for an hour then thrown out. I was 17 at the time. They ended up calling the cops and telling them I attacked them or some such crap and I wound up in jail. Called my grandfather and he took me in after that.

I stayed with my grandfather for along time till I got on my feet. I've since forgiven my twin brother but will never forgive my parents. They haven't even seen or talked to me in seven years. But, I'm still with the girl they caught me with. She is the love of my life and the whole thing brought way closer together because we were just going to have a one night stand as it were but now we are lifelong partners thinking about adopting.

My point is that no matter what happens do what I'd good for you. They want to disown you tell them to go screw and make you're life amazing and shove it in their face. Then if/when yo u have a child of you're own you will love and cherish it all the more.

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're an inspiration.