1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a little help...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lady of Winter, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Lady of Winter

Hello, I am having a little trouble with my parents and sexual orientation. My father, a very smart, and logical man, believes that the fact that I think I am Bisexual is a joke. He gets mad at me and is very intimidating. He thinks that since I had talked about it recently, it was new. But, I found out I was Bi almost a year ago. It`s just something about girls that gives me the tingles. But, dad doesn`t believe me. I`m not too sure about my mother, but, I don`t want to find out the horrors. The fact that I have always been a weird and dark child is a lot for my parents to handle,but,from what I`ve gathered from my father, the sky would fall if I told my parents I was Bi.

2. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh dear. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sometimes people can be even more dismissive and cruel about bisexuality than about homosexuality, which may explain why bisexuals are less likely to come out and have higher rates of depression and substance abuse than either heterosexuals or homosexuals. I came out as gay when I did come out because I'd heard so many bad things about bisexuals that I didn't want to be one. Turns out, I am bisexual and there's no way around it so recently I've just been saying that and whoever has a problem with me will just have to deal with it. I promise it does get easier and there are people out there who will love you for who you are. I'd suggest trying to make some bisexual friends (though they are hidden--sometimes you just have to ask) at your local LGBT group and get plenty of reassurance so you're not alone when you come out (if you do want to come out). We're here, we exist. Don't let anyone tell you your sexual orientation is a joke! It's not a choice. I've known I was this way since I was a kid. Good luck and keep posting!

3. lovely lesbian

Sorry you are going through this do you have any close friends you can talk to? I hep you get some support

4. Lady of Winter

I have one named Amy who I am kinda crushing on. She is the best friend ever. It`s really hard for me to make friends because I`m well.....Dark.. Amy and I have been friends for almost 8 years. However, she is the kind of person who is a little childish and doesn`t understand much.

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2014 at 02:34 PM ----------

Thanks for the help. I kinda find it stupid how people think that me being a Bisexual is a choice. I want to tell him it was my body/sexual system that chose, not me. Because the only thing anyone controls in their body is their limb movement and their brain. You can`t help who you are attracted to. I`ve had a word with my mother about it and she is OK with it and says that why I feel so strongly for anyone is because of my age and because of puberty. She also said it might have to do with my depression.

5. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I feel Media is to blame for the whole "Girls orientation is a choice" deal. Here in the states (not sure about Canada) Media (especially television) plaster this thought into our societies mind.
    I'd like to mention Family Guy, one episode Meg accidentally joins a Lesbian group, and at the end of the episode it is mentioned that Homosexuality (girls orientation) is a choice. Unfortunately this isn't the only show to prod (or make a joke of) this situation.
    My best advice would be to try and educate your Father on this whole thing.
    Maybe try this link http://community.pflag.org/document.doc?id=495
    Someone mentioned another Pflag booklet on these forums for family and friends of Trans people, and it was a great read.

6. Lady of Winter

Thanks, I will look into it <:slight_smile: