1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting my Partner's Family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LibraryKitten, Mar 4, 2014.

1. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    Next week is spring break for my university, and I'll be flying out of state to go meet my partner's family. I'll be staying there the entire week, and then coming back to school at the end of break. Needless to say, I'm ridiculously excited! And... also really nervous. :eek: I've never met a partner's family before (except for a brief Skype call we made over winter break, so our families could see each other before my parents agreed to let me visit in the spring). Or at least, not like this... I've briefly chatted with parents before leaving for dinner or something like that, but I'm not very good at smalltalk to begin with, and other than just being polite, I don't know if there's an art to this.
    Also, his parents have recently decided to get a divorce. I have no personal experience with this kind of situation before, and I don't want to accidentally make this whole situation more stressful than it already will be.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

(The more I think about it, the worse these hiccups are getting. :lol: :tears:slight_smile:

2. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    Bump.

Does anybody have stories?

3. Kreiger

When I had a friend whose parents were getting divorced and I saw the parents, I was very careful not to take sides with any one parent or touch the subject of their divorce. As for meeting parents of significant others, always compliment the food and act innocent but intelligent, while listening to their conversations. Basically just be polite and honest, while avoiding touchy subjects.