1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your parents ask you about dating?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MMF, Mar 4, 2014.

1. MMF

MMF

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't had a girlfriend in a while, and my mom always asks me who my girlfriend is. I just want to tell her that I like this dude and we've been hanging out but I would only tell her I'm bisexual when I have an official boyfriend because I've never had one..

She would always ask me who I'm taking out on a date for the weekend or recently during valentines she kept asking who I'm going with and now she's wondering who would be my grad date.. Anyone else has this type of parent? I don't want to ask her to stop asking because I think it's rude and I love my mom haha.

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents don't usually bring it up unless I start talking about a girl. My friends, on the other hand...they seem to think I'm dating every girl I talk to and ask about it frequently. They do ask me about prom occasionally, or homecoming, or other social events to which one usually has accompaniment.

3. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think my mum kind of knows... so she stays away from the topic... and yeah, I'm also not telling her anything until I have a proper bf

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "When are you going to find a wife?" is probably my mom's favorite thing to say to me. Closely followed by "How are you ever going to find a wife?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I really have no idea how I manage to not answer that question since I've heard it hundreds of times.

5. Skov

They used to talk to me all the time about how I need to find a nice girl or date my friends who are girls. Now that I've came out to them, all of that has stopped. They generally avoid all talk of relationships or anything that could bring up my sexuality.

6. Hiems

They never ask me. They actually encourage me to prioritize my schoolwork over anything else. Yep, I have the typical Asian parents :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm actually okay with not dating now. I want to graduate, gain financial stability, and come out to my family first. It sounds like so far away from now, but I can wait until I reach the light at the end of the tunnel.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to my parents, and my mom usually seems to avoid the topic while my dad brings it up when he gets a chance. He likes to tease me by asking me who I like. Before I was out, both my parents constantly said stuff like, "Don't you want to have a boyfriend?" and it got so annoying that it eventually pushed me out of the closet. Maybe they knew and that was their goal, lol.

8. Timm

Almost never. Though my mother will occasionally ask "do you think you'll ever date a girl?"

9. Landslide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My dad always asks if I have a boyfriend. And when I moved out he kept insinuating that I live with a guy. I just ignore his questions and comments

10. Littlehawk98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom knows I'm gay so she asks me about boys all the time. But my grandparents still don't know. My grandpa doesn't say anything, for some reason I feel like he knows, which is fine by me. My grandma couldn't be more oblivious... While she hasn't asked in a while, she does occasionally talk about me dating a girl. And for some reason, she emphasizes the word girl. Which bugs me, but I'm really good at diverting conversations, so I tend to successfully dodge that bullet regularly. My dad, whom I very rarely talk to brings up girls at least once every time we talk. So I generally just go along with it and keep my mouth shut.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents know I'm gay and that I want to start dating when this semester winds down, since I've only realized and accepted my sexual orientation relatively recently. I had some extended family recently ask me about dating girls and I just used the "too busy with school" line without opening up that can of worms.

12. BlueLines

My dad bothers me about it all the time. My mother normally just stays quiet about the topic though. Not sure if she knows, but the uncertainty is better then having it come up in every other conversation...

13. PurpleGrey

Ha! I constantly whine about how there are no girls my age, so mom never has to ask. I think she's becoming more accepting, because she's acknowledging (jeez, that's a tough word to spell) my interest in chicks.

14. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

My mom asks me if I'm seeing anyone yet. I told her I'd have to move out of the state before I can date anyone. She always gets sad after I say that because she doesn't want me to move.

My dad? No he pretends I never told him and everything is fine and dandy.

15. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my dad never did but my mom used to ask all the time. since i didn't start dating until i was 16, my mom used to ask me all the time which got annoying after awhile. now that i have a gf she keeps asking when are you getting married lol

16. KanayaMaryam

Not at all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm convinced my parents think I don't plan on getting married or dating or anything. D8 Last time they asked was when I was in the 5th grade. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. XingSarangBi

XingSarangBi Guest

No such topic is raised at our house. Its even hilarious. and I'm sure the idea of me being with a guy would scare them crazy let alone girl. :slight_smile: They should never know about this :grin:
    I'm also very nerdy and they like it that I am and do not suspect or want me to be with any guy. The problem is that they haven't considering that I might actually be into girls as well.. Anyway.