1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open relationships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Aelan, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Aelan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm posting out of a curiosity of how other people's relationships work with their partners. I'll elaborate...

My girl and I have an open relationship, sexuality speaking. I am 100% lesbian but she is very much bi. We still love each other deeply, we've been together for 7 years through much drama from family and bigotry and blah blah blah. Anyways she still occasionally enjoys sex with men. I personally have no issue with it, she's safe with sex and I always meet the guy before hand. I don't join in or anything but it's how it goes and she never asks for threesome or anything since she knows I won't do it.

I honestly do not mind at all, I'm just curious if any others have relationships like this if their partner is bi.

2. Kreiger

I don't know anyone in my life with a relationship that works like this, but whatever works is fine I guess. Lack of jealousy can be a pretty decent trait. The openness you describe is definitely unusual though.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I have nothing against open relationships, but I could never have one. Sex is too intimate to me, even if It's not to my partner, I would still feel hurt by it and betrayed by them.

I would date a bisexual, if they were clearly monogamous only. They would know that being with me means giving up men for the length of our relationship. If they miss men, I do not mind roleplaying as a man or mimicking hetero sex, but that's as far as it goes. If they can't compromise with that, then we aren't suited for each other and I'd break up with them so they can be happy elsewhere.

Plus, even if I -did- allow an open relationship, I'd only be comfortable with it if my partner was with women exclusively. I tend to get far more jealous when it comes to men rather than other women. It sounds selfish....but those are just my feelings.

But there are people who have open relationships, and it works for them. That's cool too.

4. KanayaMaryam

I myself don't have anything against them, but I would NEVER be able to have one. I always get too jealous and clingy just when someone hits on the person I like. I don't say anything to anyone who has one, as it isn't my place to say, but myself I could never have one. =P

5. ornoir29

I could never consider an open relationship. As fallingdown7 pointed out, sex is way too intimate for me to consider the idea of sharing my partner.

In my relationship chart, the first place goes to dignity and respect, but the second goes to sex. Superficial? Maybe, but I want a partner who rocks my world in bed. I want a monogamous relationship, hence I want someone who doesn't make me feel the need of sleeping around. My current relationship is like that, I notice the attractive people around me but I think "no-one could give what he gives me". In my past relationship the fact that I constantly fantasized about sex with other people was just the tip of the iceberg of the whole thing crumbling down.

I'm talking about me, of course. If it works out for others, nothing against it.

For some reason I can't explain, I would be more ok with my partner (be it a man or a woman) sleeping with women rather than men. Probably it means that I need to feel I'm the only man.
    Same for a threesome. I don't like the idea at all, but if it had to happen, I could accept it only with other women. With other men, it would feel totally wrong.

6. Aelan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it's strange it doesn't bother me then. We've been together for 7 years thus far and have never had a major argument that couldn't be resolved or thrown one another out or anything like that. She's stayed with me for more than anyone should have a right to lol. Maybe I just want to keep her happy I don't know. But it's not a common thing, once maybe twice a year, when she gets "the itch" as she calls it. I personally don't have other partners but I still feel n OK jealousy since she always comes back to me.

Our personal sex life is wonderful, very intimate and loving in my opinion.

Am I just weird or you think I should as her to stop?

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I would only see the problem with your relationship if it deeply bothered you on some level. Just because some people like myself don't like sharing our partners sexually, doesn't mean It's wrong to if you're okay with that :wink:

8. QueerQueen

If you're comfortable with it I really don't see a need in asking her to stop, it's not abnormal, some people can handle it and others can't. I am one of those people that can't, I get jealous and I would hate to think of my girl with someone else, I would picture it in my head, and wonder if other people can please her better than I can. I wouldn't put myself through that.

9. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I think it's great that you two have come to an agreement that keeps you both happy. I have known couples in which one partner is bisexual and they have similar agreements. As long as you meet the person beforehand, as long as there is mutual respect and understanding all around, it's fine. In fact the couples I've known who have managed open relationships with success were almost always stronger for it, and eventually settled into strict monogamy not by obligation but by choice.

10. ornoir29

The important thing is to find an agreement and respect it. If you're ok with your partner "scratching the itch" every now and then, go for it. But you must be sure it doesn't bother you or makes you uncomfortable.

11. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, the moment it becomes an issue it's time for her to stop. Make sure you watch your own feelings and reactions carefully to make sure you're really ok with it. Sometimes repressed discomfort with something your partner is doing can cause tension in the relationship that seems to "come out nowhere." Good advice, ornoir29.

12. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I asked my boyfriend this question this and he said i dont care do what u want nd i asked what do u mean? nd he said whatever u want it to mean,I don't mean anything but what I said.

13. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With my ex boyfriend it was sort of an open relationship. Kissing other people was never a big deal. For me it was ok when he kissed other people, but he just didn't wanted to do it often. I used the freedom more and was flirting with girls and making out with girls whenever I had the chance to. No problem.
    He knew that to that time I considered myself as bi. But there were always dubts about it and I felt more lesbian than bi. So I just wanted to know how sex with a girl is. I felt so bad when I told him about these feelings, but he just told me that I can do what I want, if it helps me to feel better. So one time there was more with a girl than kissing. For me it felt like cheating, but of course it wasn't because he was totally cool with that. Everything worked fine, no jealousy, or something like that.

But after almost two and a half years we broke up, but it had nothing to do with this " half open relationship thing".

So as long as it is okay for both and it is clear what is okay and what not, an open relationship is not a bad thing.

Sorry in advance for spelling and grammar mistakes, I'm not a native speaker..:icon_redf