1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm 27, 5 year realationship... I'm worried I might have to end it...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by allyssa, Mar 5, 2014.

1. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello everyone and I want to say thank you for reading up front. This is the first time in my life I've really searched for a place for help and advice. Thank you for everyone who responds.

My name is Allyssa. I'm 27. Female. Bisexual.
    I've been going out with my girlfriend for 5 years (in Sept. 6 years). We met in college. Since then we've graduated, but couldn't find jobs in our field. We still live with parents. Anyways.... We did break up In our 4th year... but got back together. We broke up for a huge reason and it the reason I think I might break up with her again.

We broke up because I wanted to move our relationship into something deeper. Like touching more or even sex, but I knew something wasn't right... we were going out for 4 years and all we ever do is cuddle and kiss... We've made out 4 times... that even included up to this point. I begged for an answer of why we couldn't move forward. That's when she broke down and told me she doesn't want sex ever. It completely shocked me. She told me she was asexual and the idea of sex is horrible in her mind. I didn't know what to do since I thought a relationship needed sex at one point... so I broke up with her.

Fast forward a half a year, we talked after I did a lot of research and we decided we can try the relationship again on a couple of conditions. 1) no sex. 2) I wanted to make out more so we could have a deeper connection. 3) hold hands more in public. Now 3 might not be a big deal to some people, but I have a huge issue with it. Since we both live at our parents houses and we both HAVE NOT come out to anyone in our family... have the threat of someone seeing us and telling our family is a possibility. That's why I don't... Anyways, so we agreed and got back together.

Fast forward to now. We hold hands when I'm around... never make out and never have sex. Part of the issue is 1/2 year ago I got a job in another state. I'm maybe back in the state we both live in, maybe a couple days out of a week if I'm lucky... Its very hard. I have no friends or support when I travel to the other state. It hurts our relationship. We haven't improved or fixed anything... it's just the same old "lovely dovey" chat online that we do.

I don't know if I should break it off or not. Since she's asexual, she told me it would be hard to find anyone who would accept her. I get that. But she hasn't helped me either. I'm beyond sexually frustrated at this point and confused on what to do. I'm to loyal go out and find a one night stand. Not to mention I have no idea where since I'm in a different state.

Can someone please just talk with me? I'm so alone down here. And my partner isn't helping me. I need a second opinion. Please help.

~Allyssa

#1 allyssa, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. Praetor

First, this is just my opinion. Plenty of people will probably disagree with me.

A lot of people today will constantly encourage you to "negotiate" relationships, and take it to such extremes as including sex in that. Thing is, if we didn't care about sexual activities, we wouldn't bother coming out or even discussing anything LGBTQ+. The fact is, it does matter.

So you have to ask yourself the very serious question: do you want more from this relationship than your partner is willing to give? In this case, you are wanting to be more intimate, and your partner doesn't want to be because of their asexuality. I think you need to be honest with yourself: is this working for you? Do you feel like you want more from this relationship?

If you do, then you need to talk to your partner. The longer you wait, the more this thought will grow in your mind. Honesty is important in any positive relationship, and your partner deserves to know how you feel. So talk about your feelings with your partner. If your girlfriend is refusing to budge on this issue, and deep down you want more, then you face two simple options: end it, or adapt to it and find safe alternatives.

Personally, sexual activity is a major component in a relationship for me, so I would have a tough time dealing with such a scenario, and I would be honest with my partner over such a situation. As harsh as it sounds, I would rather end it if I knew neither of us would change our position on the issue - in the long run, it would mean that feelings are less hurt and we can both move on with our lives to find partners that we are mutually satisfied with.

Whatever decision you come to, I wish you the best :slight_smile:

3. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've asked that so many times. When you're alone with no fiends to talk to... you question many things. My answer unfortunately is yes... I say unfortunately because we've been together for so long. 5 years. We've been best friend 2 years before THAT. It seams like when I got back to town we cuddle... maybe watch tv. But we can't ever do anything. We don't live together... I can never stay over at her place and it wears on me. I don't want to end it because I just keep thinking how amazing it will be when we get our own place. Finally share a bed... make breakfast... It sounds stupid, but I want that so badly with her. *sighs* I just don't know. I'm so confused!

4. Freedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Dnt leave her please. What if there is no sex in life :slight_smile: sacrifice and give her love she wants may be your companionship. if you allows you may start seeing someone else.

ask her if she dosent have any problem with that ...

keep me posted and dnt worry :kiss:

5. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We've talked about me getting a "sex" partner.... problem is we both are to loyal and we fear it would ruin the relationship. I'll definitely keep updating here. Thank you for wanting to keep track.

6. Freedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    if you are loyal then dnt leave her live with her and try may be she agree for sex too , have you ever tried to talk openly ?

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2014 at 01:40 PM ----------

i mean have you ever kissed her hugs and stuff like that and had she shown any intrests ?

7. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When I am back in town, we hang out like a high schooler would going over to someone's house. We kiss when we greet each other(sometimes if parents aren't around), watch tv, go to McDonald's to eat, talk there, drive back, kiss before she leaves the car.

Then I usually drive home crying because it's same old same old and I'm breaking inside. (cop pulled me over 2 weeks ago while I was crying... she looked at me really concerned. I didn't get a ticket even though I swerved a little) It's cold where we live and her parents wont let me stay over past midnight... It really hurts.

I just want to live with her. I've know her for so long. I want to live with her so badly... But we were dealt a crap hand in life. I'm super in duet from college can't find a good paying job. That's why I'm living with my very Catholic family still.... *sighs*

8. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wish I had more support in real life. But I can't come out because of my parents... I'm 27 and I still can't live my own life. (sorry for mini rant)

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I agree it's a tough situation. The main problem as you know is that you want/need something from the relationship that she can't give you.

I personally don't think the relationship will work long term for either of you. You will end up sexually frustrated to the point where you can't cope and will either break up or search for it elsewhere or you will end up resenting her. For her she may end up feeling pressured to give you something she doesn't want or feel able to.

I know right now it might seem the worst thing in the world to do but surely you both deserve to be completely happy rather than compromising.
    I'm not saying that you never have to compromise in relationships but I think there is a difference between compromising and making do.

10. AmiBee

I'm sorry that you don't have a lot of support. Hopefully, you're finding some on EC. It sounds like you love your gf, but a life time without a sexual relationship is a lot to ask. My wife and I used to have a pretty good sex life. But now, and for the last several years, she's had a very low sex drive while mine has stayed about the same. I find it challenging and sexually frustrating. I love her very much and won't leave her over sex. Don't know if sharing my experiences helps you or not. Good luck.

11. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple of thoughts of possible compromises - don't know if they'll work.

First, do you masturbate? Maybe starting to masturbate or masturbating more often could help to relieve your frustration.

Second, asexuality makes sex not attractive, but doesn't make sex repugnant. Those are two separate things. You can desire sex and still find it repugnant (for example many sexual abuse survivors are like this) or you can have no desire but not really mind doing it. This is important because asexuality cannot be changed, but being repulsed by sex can change. If your partner is willing to examine why she is repulsed by sex, she may be able to desensitize herself to the point where she could have sex with you. Now, it's important to negotiate this carefully, because you do not want to pressure her into it, but there are some asexual people who have sex as a nice thing to do for their partner, in exchange for their partner doing nice things for them in return.

Third, is it sex in general she finds repulsive, or just certain acts? Maybe you two could negotiate doing the sexual acts that don't bother her and not the ones that do.

12. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I understand exactly where you're coming from. I feel like I'm at that breaking point. But the problem is we did break up before. And I felt worse apart then I did together. The last thing I want to do is force her. I want things to be natural... but part of the "compromise" when we got back together was 1. no sex (her) 2. making out (me) 3. more PDA (her - like holding hands in public) 1 and 3 are defently being worked on... 2... *sighs* I really need it to feel some sort of intimacy with her.... But since we live with parents that don't know about us..... we can't.

Being on EC has helped a lot. Talking to others. That's a LOT of help. I've had no one for so long. I don't know why I didn't think of finding this place sooner.

I do love my girlfriend very much. I agree a life time is to long. *laughs a little* And I understand your pain. I've been in a relationship for 5 years with only 4 or 5 times of making out, and only little tiny kisses when we see each other.... I completely understand.

First, this embarrasses me. But yes. Pretty regularly... And actually it makes it worse. I think of her while doing it.... and it hurts because *rubs my eyes* because she wont.... It's hard to think about.... But yes I do. I can tell you know, she doesn't. She said when she was younger she would but it did nothing for her. Makes some since she's asexual.

Second, ya.... I think she's asexual. Not just repulsed.... I agree with not pressuring her. But the question at this point is when do ask her again. It's been over a year since we "patched" things up. I'm feeling the strain all over again. I don't want to pressure her into doing something she does want to do. That sounds so bad! But if she doesn't do anything to help me, I'm going to loose it.

Third, I think it's sex. Heck the last time we made out was years ago... I've touched her.... but she never touches me... also, years ago. All we ever do is little kisses. If that. Is it wrong for me to want something more coming from her?

Thank you everyone for responding. Sorry it took so long to reply. I hope to read responses again soon! :grin:

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With the sex and making out, or lack of it. How does it make her feel? Does she just not not desire it or does it make her feel uncomfortable or dirty?

14. Mzansi

SO deny the wholly natural need for sex?
    I think that this is being left out,
    And not studied,
    The Original Poster has EVERY right to end this relationship,
    They're obviously not sexually compatible.

I would say that you should end it,
    Or compromise,
    Just as you compromise by having no sex,
    She could meet you more half way.

15. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She flat out doesn't desire it. It's not about being dirty I think. She just doesn't want to do anything sexual. It's really frustrating because when I try to talk to her about it, she usually sez things like "I'm not good enough to fill your needs." I get it's stressful for her, but the lack of communication and her unwillingness to not help me physically is driving me insane.

16. thrnvlpidj

If she "flat out doesn't desire it" why does she usually sez things like "I'm not good enough to fill your needs."

Could some baby steps towards greater intimacy help you move forward?

17. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Allyssa, I'm sorry you are facing such a difficult decision. You've invested a lot of time, effort and emotional energy into your relationship and given it a second chance. To do this demonstrates a deep commitment and whole lot of love and I can only begin to imagine how you must be feeling right now as you face up to very serious and seemingly insurmountable problem.

I have a few questions, if you can consider them and come back to us:

You told us that the thought of sex is horrible "in her mind" and she flat out doesn't desire it. Do you know if she has ever had a sexual experience with another person... has she ever spoken about this? I do understand that some people are simply not inclined towards sex, and with you saying it's horrible "in her mind", this seems more likely, but, could it be that some past experience has built up a really negative perception of something that can actually be wonderful - especially with a loving and committed partner.

It's clear that you have a really deep connection and lot of love for the other person and you yearn to take the things to another level. It is possible though to have very deep feelings of love and affection for our friends (maybe even a best friend). I hope this doesn't sound like I'm questioning what you've shared over the last 5-6 years, but do you actually feel as though things have graduated beyond friendship?

Finally, you told us that you are now "beyond sexually frustrated". I think this highlights the chasm that exists between you on this issue. How much longer can you maintain things before one, or both of you gets hurt? I don't mean you will go and cheat, but I'm guessing you are quite tense right now and these feelings can develop and spill over into hostility and resentment, potentially damaging everything that you've ever had.

If you were talking about a relationship with a lack of sex, I think I'd be telling you to persevere (quality rather than quantity) but when there is no sex at all and your wants/needs are so divergent, you really do need to ask yourself some very serious questions about the future.

Not an easy decision for you, but I hope the process of considering and answering some of these questions may bring you to the right decision.

18. AcceptingMyself

I have a daughter who's asexual and not only does she have no sexual desire, but she finds the idea of sex to be repugnant. She has already decided that she will never marry and when she is ready for children she will adopt. I think this is a healthy outlook to have considering most people are not willing or able to have a no-sex relationship unless they themselves are asexual.

Here is my opinion on your girlfriend, and sorry in advance if it seems harsh:

She is selfish.

She doesn't want you to break up with her and find someone to love who is willing to fulfill your sexual needs because she's afraid of being alone and unable to find someone else to accept her, but she's not willing to sacrifice her physical comfort to provide you with what you need in the relationship.

If I was her I wouldn't be in a relationship with someone who I knew desired sex in the first place unless I was willing to provide sex for them, because that is unfair to my partner.

I think you both would be better off finding people to love that you are more compatible with. And she should be completely up front about her asexuality in the future with people she develops romantic feelings for.

19. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. She hasn't even tried to meet you half way. I have been married for 6 years and we separated a few months ago. We're good friends but those are different kinds of love. This is my stop. Spk l8r

20. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You two are best friends. You love each other but you both want different things. You both deserve happiness but you won't find it together. The person who makes the comprises and sacrifices, which is you right now, will later down the line harbour some resentment to this woman because you never had the fulfilling relationship you crave, and that would be worse.
    Do what is best for you.