1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents and their disregard with words...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IG88, Mar 6, 2014.

1. IG88

So I'm watching tv with my parents, Mom comments on a guy's bad/weird hair, saying "what is he gay?"

And there's little stuff like that that they say. It's not exactly homophobic but it's not really accepting. I can't call them out on it, because they have already suspected me of being gay in the past, and I don't want to give them any more suspiscion because I'm not ready.

Anyone else been here before?

2. Skov

Yup. It always sucks hearing parents making homophobic remarks. It really cuts deep. Thankfully, they shut up at least around me when I came out

3. azure au

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. My father recently made the tut sound and walked out of the room as two men kissed on tv. I also remember a very offensive word for gay being a regular part of his cursing vocabulary as I was growing up.

4. wildfang

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I never really discussed my parents attitude to homosexuality before I started questioning - and I moved away shortly before that, so yeaaahhh. But I visited them recently and kinda sneakily brought up how they felt about gayness, and they were like "Ahh, we totally don't have anything against it."

*short pause in which all resume watching the Torchwood DvD I brought along*

"...as long as our kids don't turn out like that."

Yoink >.<
    They're not outright homophobic, I think, but let slip these deregatory remarks that just push ya deeper into the closet...

5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, those comments are the worst. :frowning2:
    My mom actually quit when I came out. That was pretty sweet, I hope she means it and isn't just holding them in.
    My dad.. I suppose has said alot less actually, but not enough considering his daughter is not heterosexual. *shrug*

Good luck with yours, I hope they come around. (*hug*)
    We all make mistakes. And it's totally okay that you're not ready, take all the time you want. :slight_smile: Still sucks to hear those words though, and not being able to fight back. <3

6. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom's not like that so much with gay guys, it's more with lesbians I've noticed. She used to be biphobic and I couldn't get her to be gender neutral with me....when I came out she's since been not biphobic and has been gender neutral. She's slowly coming around now that I've been dating a new girl, but I'm trying to be patient...she's not been exposed much to LGBT.

7. BlossomOfAngel

I know what you mean, my parents are too in the "it's alright... As long as it isn't inside our family" group. They "obliviousness" (let's call it like that because I hope they're not doing it on purpose) hurts and isn't much of a help when you're struggling to accept yourself and much less to come out to them -_-"

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents do that too. And my brother. And a few friends.

I used to ignore it but I've been combating it. I used to think of them as open minded but they aren't really. And I know it's not in a true homophobic sense but it's used as a derogatory adjective.

Strange... My dad said call people an asshole if they are an asshole. Actually he's never said "that's gay"... but he was like "the LGBT group as school wants to be called the queers now" in a manner that didn't show a lot of understanding.

I dunno. :dry:

9. Alex 337

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been there with my parents too. Last week my dad said that he hates gays... I don't know if that's including lesbians too but it did hurt me deep and I was upset all day long :/

10. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I think some do it out of habit... My father is homophobic, but when I told him about me... he changed... his whole views.
    "I can't stop you from doing this, so I can only support you as my new Daughter" it was completely a throw off to me, and left me dumbfounded.

11. AAASAS

I'm sure your parents would be quiet if you told them.

My Mom and Dad used to make gay jokes all the times, it was never totally negative but mainly making fun of their girly attributes, and even I thought some of it was funny.

12. WearyWanderer

When I was a bit younger, my family (myself included) made some jokes about Smithers and his creepy attraction to Mr. Burns on the Simpsons. :roflmao:
    But really, I have been very lucky to have such accepting parents. They aren't homophobic in the slightest.
    Hugs to everyone that has to go through anything like this! (*hug*) Honestly, some of these comments are very hurtful.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_bigg