1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best friend has anorexia

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BadWolf5, Mar 7, 2014.

1. BadWolf5

So in computer class today my best friend and I were
    talking about secrets and she revealed to me that she has
    anorexia, which I already kinda guessed because she had stopped
    eating as much. (I was *this* close to coming out to her but then
    the bell rang).But anyway, I made sure she bought a lunch but she only ate
    a few bites. It's really worrying me. How do i help her without betraying
    her trust and telling everyone?

2. BiPenguin

That's a hard one. I suggest you speak to a counsellor.

3. Nick07

It's really nice that you care.
    Her telling you is a big thing. She had to admit to herself that she had a problem. She had to find the courage to name it. Usually people just say, I am not hungry, I don't like food, I am ok. And THEN she needed to muster up the courage to confide in you.

She knows she has a problem, that's one of the first steps. Does she know why? There can be a lot of reasons why people starve themselves. Try to find out. When you both (carefully) address the issue and start to work on it, she will be on the right path to get better.

---------- Post added 8th Mar 2014 at 10:21 AM ----------

Hmm, you are 13... that can be tough for you to handle (I don't mean it badly).

You see, people usually do that because they don't feel good enough. Beautiful enough, worth enough. They may feel like they don't deserve to be healthy or feel well.

After some time of starving, your stomach shrink and you stop feeling hungry so much. Someone telling you "you need to eat everything what is on your plate" will make you either nauseous or panicky.
    You can try to carry some snacks with you. Some people hate the feel of food in their mouth and can't eat crackers for example. Or cookies - something crunchy you know. But they would be ok with cherry tomatoes or something like that. Try to find out.

You can encourage your friend to eat together, that can help too.

(*hug*)

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Encourage her to talk to a counselor, if she hasn't already. Apart from that, just be there for her.