1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoyed with my mum

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AmiBee, Mar 8, 2014.

1. AmiBee

No question here. Just a little rant to get it off of my chest. My son and I are visiting my parents for the weekend. My younger sister got married last fall. Last night, I had to hear my mom gushing over my new brother-in-law again. Such things like, your beard looks so good on you. Have some more of your favorite food and beer. You get the idea.
    Anyway, whenever my wife is with my mother, my mother puts her ideas and work habits down. That's why I give my wife a pass on visiting my parents with us.
    Why should I care about all of this when I'm 43 years old, I haven't lived at home since 18 and they live 600 miles away. Oh, yeah, because parents can have that great psychological hold on you for a lifetime.
    Rant over.

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it must be frustrating but try not to let it affect you. At least try not to let her see that it annoys you. You could even try countering :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: "doesn't my wife look so pretty today, mum?" and so on.

I know I'm a lot younger than you but I can imagine how frustrating it must be (*hug*)

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be mad too.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you might bring this up because she may not be fully aware of her discrimination in how she treats her childrens' spouses. Maybe you should even stop visiting unless your wife can come without feeling like an outsider.

5. AmiBee

Thanks for the support. It's not something I dwell on and let bother me except when I'm in the situation which is only few times a year. It just so happens I'm visiting this weekend.