1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to rebuild a relationship with my mom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by phoenixflyinghi, Mar 9, 2014.

1. phoenixflyinghi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an only child and my mother and I used to be as close as sisters until I came out 5 years ago. She told me that it was just a phase and our relationship immediately became strained. Things are fine unless I allude to my sexuality. I tried to have a deep conversation with her a year after I came out, but that just ended with her ordering me to not tell anyone else that I was bisexual.

I recently got my first kiss (with a girl). I always I imagined, since I was little, that she would be the first person I would tell that to, but if I mention anything related to LGBT topics she starts yelling at me that I'll be dead to her if I do anything "with them".

On the other hand, my dad believes gays aren't "real" and that if they pray hard enough they'll be straight.

I wish there was a way I could have a strong relationship with my mom without sacrificing who I am and living in a free way.

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, it's up to your mom to accept it, and there's nothing you can do to force her to accept it sooner.

3. Clay

Yeah if she's not willing to have that strong relationship with you then there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately.