1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my girlfriend about my eating disorder?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by charlavail, Mar 10, 2014.

1. charlavail

Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been struggling with disordered eating and thoughts for over 10 years (I'm 19). It's something that impacts me everyday.

I've been dating my girlfriend for a little over a month, although we've only been official for about a week and a half. I part of me wants to talk to her about it. I was diagnosed with EDNOS, and I'm going to counseling. Food is still a major issue in my daily life.

I'm worried how I'll act when I go visit her house next week. I've been over conscious of my food recently and the way I've been eating, and it has come through. It's also something I feel like she should be aware of, since she is dating me, and this will probably play a factor in our dates, and when we get intimate.

I haven't told anyone else apart from my actual counselor. None of my friends at college know, although I have been told by someone that people have talked behind my back about how they are worried I don't eat and focus on my body and stuff.

What should I do?

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it'd be good for you to tell her. It's important that you shouldn't feel tense or worried around her. She'll give you support. Don't worry about it :slight_smile: and good luck. (*hug*)

3. butterfly dust

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, I used to have an ED and I know how hard it can be when you're with someone who doesn't know, the stress of being in foody situations with them, etc. You shouldn't worry too much about telling her because if she likes you she will just want to do what she can to support you. It's also better to tell someone on your own terms than have them find out.

I would suggest maybe writing down exactly what you want to tell her, so that you're prepared and you have in mind what you want to say. It is even okay to write down a list of things you want to mention and have it with you when you talk to her. I would also suggest explaining what exactly she can do to support you, because people who haven't suffered from eating problems generally seem quite unsure of what they should do to help (and occasionally do hurtful things from a place of concern).