1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I calm down?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ema228, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ema228

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love my family, but I don't like them. My mom especially. She is a very religious person and can get really annoying. When I think about my family I get really upset because they are jerks. My mother upsets me with her views on homosexuality. I feel really unaccepted because I am not her perfectly straight little child who believes in God. A school dance is coming up and I tried talking to her about who I wanted to ask. I started to talk about the girls I could ask and she started rambling about taking a guy instead and how it's girl ask guy and to take my ex boyfriend :dry:. When I told her I refused to take a guy she started questioning me about the girls. She asked if they were weird and if they were bisexual as well. You could tell she was uncomfortable. The entire time I was really upset and trying not to tell her off. I am going to take a girl who is strictly a friend, but my mom was still upset about it! And she seems so grateful and happy when I bring up seeing a cute boy. Sometimes I want to yell at her and get really mad at her and tell her to just :***: accept the fact that I like chicks
    How can I keep calm? Are there any techniques I could use to keep words I'll regret inside? Sorry this post is so long, being angry get's me ranting. What can I do to keep from freaking out on my mom? Besides taking deep breaths, because I usually try to do that already

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you've got an hour or two and a sure fire way to cheer yourself up afterwards I have one method that's worked very well for me in the past.

Make sure you're alone, or at least going to be undisturbed for a while.
    Remind yourself of all the things your mum has said that upset you about your sexuality.

Unload every last thought in your head on to paper / your computer whatever, just get it out of your head and written down. No matter how disgustingly hateful the things in your head are, write them all down. EVERY. SINGLE. BIT. All the things you've wanted to scream at your mum, all the things you've wanted to bash into her head. All of it. Written down. However it comes out.

It may turn out you start with the word FUUUUUUUUUUCK written in big angry letters on the page (a lot of mine start out that way! :slight_smile:) Just write whatever comes to mind however it comes. Broken sentences, odd words, angry doodles, whatever. Once you've started getting it down thoughts organise themselves, shouldn't take you long to have properly worded thoughts.

Get's rid of some of the frustration, it also clears your head and helps you prepare defences for things. It might even help you come up with a solid way to try and explain to your mum how you feel and how she is making you feel.

3. Nicholas1991

I agree with what elliaotaku said, just try to get out whatever's frustrating you

Also, something helps me, is i know you said you'd tried deep breaths, but there's techniques you can try that are proven. I don't want to ramble on but if you read a bit on the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system, and how much control breathing has over them - heart rate, glands (sweating mainly), your muscles etc. - it really does help, well for me anyway.