1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age difference

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by charmander, Mar 14, 2014.

1. charmander

Hai peoples

So for just ofer a month now I've been dating a guy who's 3 years older than me and my mom isn't really happy with that...
    Any advice on what to/ not to do?

My dad is kinda in the middle on the subject but Meh

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    3 years at age 13 is a pretty big gap, developmentally. It's really easy to get influenced in a negative way by what your boyfriend wants because of the inherent age difference, and it's also difficult to stand up for yourself. So I think your mom's concerns aren't unfounded.

Can you perhaps sit down with your mom, talk about her concerns, and have an open conversation about it? Are there specific things your boyfriend wants or is asking for that you're uncomfortable with?

3. BelleFromHell

If you were an adult, 3 years wouldn't make any difference at all, but you're not.
    It makes me feel squimish whenever I hear about young teenagers dating, regardless of age difference. Hell, I'm 17. I've been single all my life and I plan on staying that way until I'm in my 20's.
    If you were in your mid-to-late teens, I'd be more open-minded, but let's face it. You're still technicially a kid.
    If I were you, I'd just remain besties with him until we were older and more mature. I don't think he'd mind the wait if he loves you.

---------- Post added 14th Mar 2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

I'd have to agree with Chip. If I had a dollar for everytime someone dates a person who's younger than them and then takes advantage of the age difference to abuse them, I could afford my own private island.

4. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, no. Please just be really good friends with him. Anyway, in two years he will be 18, and thus anything you do (if you know what I mean) will be considered illegal. I agree with BelleFromHell, if he loves you, it can wait.

5. Theron

I don't think my parents let me or my brothers even think about dating at 13.

He'll be 18 soon and then you can't really do much for several years. If he's the one, he'll wait. But chances are your first love might not be your last love.