1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crush on someone online

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Calix, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Calix

So for about two and a bit years I've been close friends with a girl online. She's amazing and has listened to pretty much every kind of rant in the universe and has helped me sort through my own confused thoughts more than once. The only problem is she lives on the other side of the world and I've never tried anything long-distance - that is if she even returns me feeling. Something I have no clue about since I suck at picking up on flirting in RL, let alone online.

She's bisexual so I know she wouldn't reject me straight off, and she knows and accepts everything about me. I'm just not sure if I want to take the risk when we already have such a great friendship. I have a job and am more than happy to save up to go see her in person, and I know she's had thoughts of moving to the UK in a few years time. I wonder if it's worth waiting until she decides to do this and then approaching the idea again? Or maybe I'm just being a coward. :/

2. Calix

Any advice, big or small! xD

3. King

Where is she from? Perhaps you could visit her country on holiday and see how it goes, or the vice versa.

If you have a connection that is real and you have positive vibes about then it definitely worth exploring it. Holidays and video conferencing may be a good start and if things get serious then moving could be the next option.

4. Calix

She's from Canada, and I've already said I want to save up and visit next year if I can, she seems happy with the idea. I just wouldn't want to say anything when she might not return the feelings. When I first got my hair cut a lot of people made comments that I still looked feminine, which upset me a fair bit. When I told her this her response was she thought I looked handsome. But I don't know if that was just making me feel better or something else.

5. King

It doesn't matter what people say about your haircut, have it cut however you like.

If you can visit her for a few weeks and she can visit you, then you will be able to see whether you can make it long-distance.

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got mixed feelings about what I'd do if I were in your situation - and don't take that the wrong way, there are just multiple roads you could take here.

I guess I'm gonna advise waiting a bit longer before divulging any feelings for her.
    King is right - if there are good vibes between you two, there's no reason not to explore the possibilities, but I recommend waiting.

You've said that both of you are open to the idea of visiting each other's country and ultimately each other. I think it would be safest for your friendship to wait until closer to that time, or wait to see if you get any hints of a relationship from her.

If you were closer (distance-wise) and you hadn't been friends for so long, I'd say it might be more worth it to take gamble and ask, but it sounds like you have an amazing friendship, and sometimes you can enjoy a friendship more than a relationship.

Anyway - just how I'd handle it.
    Lemme know if you have any thoughts/concerns.

7. BelleFromHell

I'm stuck in the same situation, except the girl I like lives on the other side of the country, and she's questioning.

8. King

So long as you meet in public then I don't see anything wrong meeting her, but perhaps you should try and get each other as much as you can before you meet.

9. Calix

Update!

So we were talking lots last night and kinda started obvious flirting which led to her bluntly asking if I wanted to more and now we're together :grin: Turns out she had been the feeling the same way for ages ^.^

10. Vskokrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    that's great news!! I hope you two can finally meet =] good luck!

11. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awww! Congratulations to you two lovebirds!

12. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AWESOME! :grin:
    So glad to hear it. :slight_smile: