1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, find the massive wrong in this.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IcelandLover, Mar 15, 2014.

1. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love putting different quotes as my email signatures, and, I recently place this one:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” -Buddha

And just because of the FINAL word, my mom goes on a psychotic rant about the evils of Buddhism and how "I wonder what your homeschool Christian teachers are going to think of you sending them messages with those stupid vile quotes."

And then my stupid, uneducated father agrees with her, not having even read the quote. Heck, my MOTHER didn't even read it, she skimmed to the end and read "Buddha" and that was it for her.

I'm so pissed. What do you think?

:bang: :help: :tantrum: :rolle:

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2014 at 07:24 PM ----------

Let's say my family was Buddhist. Had I put "Love thy neighbor" as the quote, my mother would have started ranting about the "evils of Christianity." This is why I believe all truth is relative.

2. Calix

Wow, that is messed up o.0 I totally agree with this quote and think it's brilliant. Pretty much matches my own philosophy. I'm lucky, my parents are Christian, but they don't make a big deal of it or force me to believe.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

well as a practicing Buddhist...I am offended.. from your parents. I have many christian friends(some are preachers & priests)... and none of them say Buddhism is evil... Most of them even dare say they are jealous of Buddhism "clean" record for it's age... as opposed to Christianity's.
    It sounds like your mother and father are suffering from Severe Ignorance and Religious Intolerance.
    Kudos to you for your understanding of other religions ^^

4. Theron

I'm sorry? Buddhism has a great many teachings that are right in line with great teachers of MANY religions.

She's just mad because Buddha tells you to challenge religious texts. Hell, there's a lot of that in Judaism, challenging the written texts!

5. Beetle

Wow, never heard anyone say Buddhism is evil. Plus isn't it more of a philosophy than a religion? (Pardon my ignorance)

6. MatthewJS

kinda sounds like my parents and family when they say that atheism is wrong. they are all just beliefs. out of everyone in my family, I am the only person that accepts people that are atheists. my BFSK (best friend since kindergarten) is an atheist and I don't fucking care! as long she doesn't hit people or murder anyone that believes in certain religions.

as for your parents, they don't know anything about Buddhism.

7. Meagan

I'm sorry you have to live with bigots. I do too, my parents freak out over the littlest things to preserve Christianity, but jokes' on them cause their stupidity only pushes me deeper into my belief that there is no god.

8. Neko Daemon

Honestly, that's a bit ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with the quotation itself, it's actually quite nice.

If they're only against it because of who said it, I really don't think that should count as a reason.

I'm Christian, but I happen to agree with a lot of things involving Buddhism and other religions.

That doesn't have anything DIRECTLY related to religious ideas though, so I really don't see any problem with it! Yes, it mentions religion. But I don't think that it was saying anything specific, and it was just added as a general example...

If it had said something against their personal religious beliefs, then I'd get the reasons why they'd be against it, but still not agree with them being jerks about a different religion.

#8 Neko Daemon, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  9. Claudette

Claudette Guest

That is ok, many people believe it is better labeled as a Philosophy then a religion

10. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys. I swear, had I put someone else's name at the end of that quote, they probably wouldnt have cared, but since its another religious teacher, they get all riled up. I have to deal with this every day. Ugh. Thank goodness i have music

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, the Dalai Lama has made it clear that he believes buddhism isn't incompatible with Christianity, and he's also said, emphatically, that he does not encourage anyone to switch from Christianity to Buddhism. Of all the religions to bash... your mom totally chose the wrong one. :slight_smile:

You just have to keep in mind that what you're experiencing is her ignorance, fear, and small mindedness. Not much you can do about it, just recognize it for what it is, and try and have compassion for her because she can't see things as clearly as you do in this circumstance.

12. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Anyone could think anything about budhism, you could think is right, you could thing is wrong, you could thing is stupid, you could think is smart, you could think is confusing,... But how! Can anyone think that budhism is evil?

13. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Buddhism in it's teachings actually encourages being an open religion, if you want to celebrate Christmas, Easter, passover, or Chanukah as a Buddhist it's encouraged

14. katwat

Because it is "other." That is all it takes for some fundamentalists (of any religious background) to find evil.

15. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anything that is different to my mom and dad is evil and shunned. I don't understand how someone could be like that. I am open to them but they always deny it and make comments about how "When you have a wife..." and "When our grandchildren..." Not saying grandkids won't happen but this small-mindedness is sickening.

16. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IcelandLover, following on from your Buddha quote and the extreme reaction from your parents, I thought I would share this with you. It's in a similar vein; about challenging accepted ideas and standing up for what is right. It might also shock your parents (especially the last four words), if you omit the name of the person who said it:

"Never be afraid to stand up for what is right, whether your adversary be your parent, your peer, your teacher, your politician, your preacher, or even your God."

So said Pope John Paul the First

17. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh my, this is perfect! Thanks!!!!! I will make it my new quote of the week:slight_smile: