1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating anxiety

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AcceptingMyself, Mar 19, 2014.

1. AcceptingMyself

For the longest time now, when men show an interest in me I feel that the only thing they are interested in is sex. Compliments on my looks make me nervous and I always wonder what they're hoping to get in return.Trying to date men gives me severe anxiety, especially when they want me to hang out at their place. And it's odd but I feel like a tease if I go to a man's house then refuse to have sex if they ask. lt's not that I dislike sex with men, but I'm not looking for just sex, I'm looking for a romantic, committed relationship.

At this point I haven't dated any women so I don't know if I will feel this anxiety with women or not.

I guess what I'm hoping to find out is if it's just a "me" thing or if others, especially other bisexuals, feel this way too.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I feel completely the opposite, I'm pretty sure if anyone says something nice they are taking the piss (fortunately that literally NEVER happens).

That said, I definitely share your thoughts in the sense that I would far rather NOT have sex right away because I want something romantic first...

3. AcceptingMyself

Thanks for the reply. So ''taking the piss" means they're making fun of you right? (l'm not 100% up on British expressions) If so then it's similar to how I feel in that the compliments feel insincere.

I wonder if my fear of being labeled a tease is a product of my experiences as a teen. My mom says my sister doesn't have this fear with guys she dates even when spending the night at their place and knowing they'd like to have sex. I know part of me is afraid they won't accept "no" and then I'll be alone with them.

Having Asperger's Syndrome, I don't read people very well and so I have more difficulty than the average person determining if someone is being genuine and is safe to be alone with or if they are pretending and will change as soon as they have me alone or I do something they don't like.

I guess I was wondering if a decreased interest in those of the opposite sex was common upon coming out as bisexual or if I just happened to realize these feelings of dating anxiety because a man is showing an interest in dating me and it just happens to coincide with my coming out.