1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn't I correct them?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Skov, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Skov

Hey everyone,

Tonight I went out to dinner with my mom, her cousin, and her cousin's husband. I don't know these people really besides seeing them at like my Grandpa's funeral. Anyways, as we were eating, they started asking me if there was anyone special. They also said things like, "I'm sure you have a bunch of girls after you," and, "You will make some girl very happy some day." I just smiled and nodded.

I just don't understand why I didn't correct them. 1) My mom knows and is actually okay with it. 2) I never see these people. 3) I'm pretty sure they would be supportive even though I wouldn't really care if they weren't.

It just bothers me that I didn't say anything because I'm pretty open usually. I think it might be because I feel like I would be an embarrassment to my mom. I hate thinking like this

2. Summer Rose

Honestly, it's probably because of how much you didn't care subconsciously. Like you said, you don't really know these "family members," so why even bother correcting them on such a minute detail?

If I were in this situation, I just wouldn't let it bother me. This is one of those times where I would've just been spacing out, so I probably would have given the same response if I was as invested as you seem to have been.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you met these people frequently and knew them well, it might be more of an issue, but it could be years before you see them again. There is nothing to say that we have to tell everyone - that is our choice. Seriously, don't even think about it.

One day, people may finally stop making assumptions about sexuality.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your out status says "most people who matter." People you see rarely like at this funeral are not those you should care about coming out to if you don't feel like it. That might be a white lie, but your personal life is really no one's business but your own.

5. Jean

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it was probably just a spur of the moment reaction. You might have gotten used to being in the closet in public, and maybe it was just that adjustment showing through. Also, if the people didn't really matter, maybe you just felt it wasn't worth the stress of correcting them. However, if it makes you feel uncomfortable, just remember you're worth more than their comfort, and next time you find yourself in that situation be sure to correct anyone who thinks you're something you're not.

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. Clay

I wouldn't worry about it, this happens to me too sometimes. I don't really know why I do it either.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter so I wouldn't dwell on it too much.

8. Robben

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my son loves to sends mixed messages. First by saying I need a girlfriend, and second by saying however I know you preference is for men. My family knows I'm gay but feels I should find that kind of fairy tale perfect family for myself. I find it is mis-leading how far we can confide and put our trust in our families with the hopes that they will provide our path in living healthy homosexual lifestyles.