1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out at a lesbian

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ema228, Mar 21, 2014.

1. ema228

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom thinks I am bisexual, but recently I discovered that I am actually a lesbian. Telling her is going to be the most heartbreaking thing ever because she is really religious and she cried herself to sleep when she found out I was bi. She cried a lot when she thought I was just questioning my sexuality. She fully believes I am going to hell and it hurts to hurt her but it needs to be done. I think I know how I am going to talk to her about it, but I have no clue how to approach the topic or when to bring it up. And I am really scared to tell her. Is there any advice you can give on how to relax and not be so scared or nervous? I really need help here. Thank you in advance

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's hard I'm still trying to think of something I think it's best maybe to wait til you move out

3. Bryony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed - If she believes you're going to hell because you're queer then I wouldn't feel bad about not saying anything until I was living under my own roof. The worst that can happen then is that she refuses to talk to you for a while. The worst that can happen now is obviously significantly worse than that.

Your safety should be your top priority. You don't want her trying to send you to a 'gay fixing' camp or kicking you out on the street because she can't handle the fact that her own flesh and blood has a different view of the world. It's really sad that she doesn't accept you for who you are, but it isn't your fault. She was brought up in a bigoted religion, so unless she knew someone or was queer herself it'd have been very unlikely for her to question that particular bit of bigotry. There is hope for her in the future, but she will need to be allowed to take things at her own pace. She needs to be the one that finds out that there are plenty of legitimate queer friendly churches, she needs to be the one that asks them questions.

I hope everything takes a turn for the better for you <3 good luck!

4. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

Yeah waiting till you move out and have more independence from them is a safer bet. It protects you from a lot of the thinks that parents might do. Not everything, but it's a lot less of a headache if things don't go well.