1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I tell my crush that I like him?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lemres, Mar 21, 2014.

1. lemres

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I have a bit of a dilemma. I was friends with this guy for 3 years in high school. We never really hung out outside of school, but we do get along in our own way. We joke around and make fun of each other alot but it's all in good fun. Where it gets complicated is at the part where I began to like him. I'm not really sure if he's gay or not, but I think he gave me very strong hints of flirting that he would only do to me. For example, he loves to look at me whenever he can and for long periods of time too. And anytime I catch him staring, he either looks away quick or tries to make me laugh. When we were on the soccer team together, he said sometimes how he liked being in the position behind because he liked the "view". I swear he's an idiot lol. I don't remember much after graduation but I swear it was strong. The only reason why I didn't pursue him was:
    1. I wasn't ready to come out yet. I went to a Christian high school, so you know...
    2. He was kinda "homophobic". I put quotes because he only was around his friends and he would try his hardest to be as vocal as they were about it. I could tell he was just saving face. And even then, the loudest ones are the ones with internalized homophobia. However his friends aren't really gay tho. They were just ignorant idiots.

But anyway, 10 months have passed after graduation and I recently talked to him the other day over text. We again had our usual sarcastic, make fun of each other thing, but that was it. So i plan to actually have a normal conversation with him tomorrow asking him how he is and stuff although I'm not good at that. I feel like I'll run out of these to say/ask fast. He also kinda tends to send one-worded responses as well. Sorry but the real dilemma is that I really want to go out with this guy. But I just can't bring myself to tell him that I'm gay let alone tell him that I like him. I honestly haven't told anybody. I'm just scared of doing so. But what I do know is that I'll be the one who needs to make the first move and try. Even though he flirted with me alot, he would tend to get very shy around me as well. If anything were to happen, I'd have to be the one to act. He's sensitive, defensive, and shy: all similar traits that I share so I understand what he's going through (if my gut is right about all this). So what would be the best approach to this? I don't want to sound desperate, but I don't wanna be missing out on a relationship that could last forever... I hate love lol.

2. pianoguy88

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So you haven't seen this guy in awhile? You're in a better position to judge than anyone, but I personally wouldn't reconnect with an old friend by saying, "By the way, I've had a huge crush on you for the past three years!" especially if he's a bit shy.

If you want a relationship that lasts forever, get to know him better: what he likes and dislikes. Invite him to things that would make him a bigger part in your life. Show interest in what he does. Try to make the relationship comfortable enough that you can tell him how you really feel, when you think the time is right.

Don't be afraid. Just be you. :icon_bigg

3. Bryony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just tell him you want to catch up! It's been quite a while since graduation and it's totally not weird at all for you to want to catch up with old friends. Have more faith in your ability to make the conversation work out. Don't forget you don't have to just ask questions, you can always launch into a story of things you've done since graduation. Moved house? Going to higher ed? Got a job? Excited about a movie that is coming out soon? Don't be afraid to tell him about it :slight_smile:

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, treat him like a friend first so he gets more comfortable and you're better able to judge if he likes you.

5. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hang around him more, invite him to do things with you. Then when you feel more comfortable you can make a move. You can just subtly flirt or start some light touching and see how he responds :slight_smile:

6. thrnvlpidj

Tell him you miss seeing him and how he could make you laugh.

Talk about soccer. Maybe he'd like to get a better view.