1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Non-Binary Makes Me Feel Kinda Isolated...?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CosmicNautilus, Mar 22, 2014.

1. CosmicNautilus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've managed to come out to a couple of my friends in the last few months, but started to regret it after... It felt really freeing at first, but then they started asking me questions about my sexuality and gender identity, and found that I just couldn't explain any of it. It made me feel really crud, because the more I struggled to talk about it, the more they started to doubt was I was saying. My gay friend even suggested that I might just be 'confused' (talk about becoming that which you despise), and I know they just don't understand at all :S If anything, I feel like we've grown apart a bit since I mentioned it, just because I suppose they don't feel that they get me like they used to :/
    I just think it really sucks to be non-binary sometimes. I feel like even in the LGBTQI community, we're kind of under-represented (evident in the fact people often cut out the 'Q' - and 'I' - out of LGBTQI). I feel like in society at large, non-binary sexualities and gender identities aren't often known about, so often when people find out about them, they're more inclined to believe it's 'not a real thing' - you have no idea how often I've heard that :/
    Does anybody else feel the same way I do, are am I just ranting about nothing? XD

2. Bryony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People shorten the acronym because they're lazy and can't be bothered to remember all the letters. My favourite acronym is QUILTBAG because it puts the all encompassing 'queer' right at the front. And it's easy to remember because it makes WORDS.

It's a bit sad your gay friend doesn't understand gender and sexuality as a fluid thing, all
    I can suggest is that you point them at the sorts of literature that might help expand their view of sexuality.