1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crushing and its dilemmas

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by polaroid, Mar 22, 2014.

1. polaroid

polaroid Guest

As I was looking around this site, I stumbled upon a sticky which within it, led me to this link: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/56450-looking-relationship-simpler-than-you-think.html

It was the most elaborate entry that I've seen here so far. I must admit, I still haven't finished reading the whole thing but from what I've read so far, for the most part, I can truly relate to it. Looking at the amount of replies it has generated, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this. Anyway, this has prompt me to think about my recent experience relating to the topic being discussed.

I have been crushing from a distance on someone for a while quite recently. Of course this isn't the first time I've had a crush on someone but it's the first time I wanted to tell the person how I felt. It's fair to say that I'm still not fully comfortable with what I am but I've been trying to get to terms with it even more so for the past year. The 'dilemma' I always encounter when I notice someone I like, whether from a distance or not is outlined in one of the paragraph from the link: "There's the issue of sexualities, first of all. If you're gay/lesbian, there's already at least a 90% chance they won't be capable of returning those feelings you feel for them. Even if you are sexually compatible, they might be in a relationship, or they might not be open to a relationship. Then there's the issue of you two being compatible as people. They might be boring. They might be into completely different things from you. You two might just plainly not get along."

While I understand that several of the points above can also be a 'dilemma' of a straight person, personally, being gay/lesbian just somehow makes these things harder to address. It's an additional filter that reduces possibilities closer to nil. In my case, every single woman I ever fancied happens to be straight. Every single one. My intention here is really not to complain but wonder. I'm just wondering how it'll work out for me. I also just wanted to share my feelings on having consistently deal with the 'move on' concept. I'm finding that as I grow older, I become more and more narrow-minded in this thing. What I meant was, it's becoming harder and harder for me to dissuade my mind once I've made it up. It's somehow harder for me to forget how I feel towards the person and move on. Select another crush. Whatever. It's getting more difficult to stay optimistic after hearing so many of ''she's got a boyfriend'', ''I don't think she swings that way'' etc. Most times it makes me wish I'm incapable of garnering these feelings at all.

2. Bryony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    *hug*

You're right. The problem with being queer is that your choices are limited pretty heavily. But then the best part of being queer? Queer people tend to be more interesting.

All I can suggest is that you spend more time in queer friendly places so your exposure to the right kinds of ladies is increased - that way you can start crushing on people who are more likely to return the affection.

3. polaroid

polaroid Guest

Thanks for reading my long entry there. That's true. I guess I have to open myself up to these places.