1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jehovah Witnesses

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DeLuna, Mar 22, 2014.

1. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

My parents are JWs (Jehovah Witnesses).. And, they are convinced that I am going to die from being trans and bisexual....... I respect their beliefs but I wish they would stop speaking negatively about who and what I am............ Does anyone have any experience with JWs..??????? How can I get them to truly know that this is all not a choice and its not some "crazy phase".

2. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Their religion is weird, like the Mormons, you'll never really convince them, even with such logical questions like "so you could choose to be gay as well, if by your logic its a choice?"
    there is no reasoning with religious people, I mean they believe a man lives in the sky and watches everything they do, tells them not to do things, loves them but will kill them at a moments notice for some mundane fault they might have (that he is said to have made for "trails" or some dumb crap).
    I almost became Mormon, (they come to your door too) worst decision ever! Glad I never took that plunge.

3. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

It is not a choice............... Do they really think that I want to go through this........

4. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Of course its not a choice, religious people just love to say it is though.
    They probably think they are doing good, that you need to be saved, as from what I understand about Jo-ho's (as I call them) is that they believe the end is coming and all those who aren't saved, and who don't live up to the Jo Ho standards, are going to hell or some such thing.
    To many religious people, it doesn't seem to matter what anyone else wants, just that you believe what they do, because "they're right!" and their church is the only true one on Earth.

You can't reason with people who think (and go door to door telling people) Jesus is coming to destroy the world and you're gonna be left behind if you don't be a good Jo-Ho.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...it has nothing to do with sexuality...but I had several encounters with a Jehovah's Witness. I had just gotten my license and was home with my sister for maybe five minutes and one showed up. She then came like five more times until my dad specifically told her to never come back again. Ah, good times.

What you need to keep in your head though, that there is nothing wrong with who you are.

Keep your head up!

6. Claudette

Claudette Guest

This is one of those examples where science and religion don't mix...
    Have you been to a therapist yet, for them to say this is what you have? I am not doubting you, I only ask so then your therapist could talk with your parents, and help them understand it all, or have them read this!
    http://community.pflag.org/Document.Doc?id=202
    this is a pamphlet for friends and family of transgender people
    Maybe this will also help them understand

7. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

Today one of the JWs told me that I was "listening to Satan the devil..." because I did not go to church today................ :frowning2:

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 12:34 PM ----------

I have been to many therapists and such..None of them doubt who I am......My parents still think its a phase though.

8. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Church is boring and worthless, Mormon church is 3 hours long! Only worth it if there's food, which there seldom is...

Fun face did you know in the past the Jo-Ho church has made many predictions on when the world was going to end, obviously to be proven wrong each and every time.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some religious people believe that they are doing the "just" thing by trying to help people out of the "LGBT lifestyle". People that I have encountered (in person and online) sometimes think that we are the way that we are because we have let the devil take over instead of letting the holy spirit in. So, they think that the choice has been made for us, and they try to help "fix" the problem that the devil spirit inside of us has caused.

So, one thing to remember is that they are trying to help you, even though they are hurting you at the moment. With time, they may see that you are the same person, and come around and realize that being LGBT is normal, or they might bury their heads deeper in the sand. There's not much that you can do to influence their decision.

Like Plenilune said, you can give them information about LGBT people. The only thing that I would caution with that route is that they may try to give you info to debunk LGBT people. So, I would be ready for that if you go this route.

10. Claudette

Claudette Guest

There really isnt anything in the bible condemning transsexualism, Now I am unsure if JH have more or less books.
    The only real thing it says is about cross-dressing and only once, in the whole book. But it should be noted that it does state ANYONE who has accepted the Lord will be taken to heaven regardless of who they are

11. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I actually did know that.. I have done countless hours of just research on the JWs..I have also been going to their church since I have been like 1 so I know all about them.......... Its crazy stuff.

12. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've gone to many churches for educational reasons (I like to learn about religions) and they're the one I actually am afraid of.
    They seem too culty to me.
    Mormons just seemed comical instead of dangerous.

13. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I'm not scared of them at all..I know they would never ever physically hurt me or anything like that, but.....ya', they can be scary if you don't know all of their "secrets".

14. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No I don't think they're gonna hurt me, its more the atmosphere and feeling of the place and those in there.

15. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I get what your saying, mate!! Its just sad that some people are like that!!

16. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

As someone with JW grandparents, I know how creepy they are. There is no reasoning with them, they are stuck in their religion.

I'm sorry.

17. Mogget

You might want to talk to the people at A Common Bond; it's an organization of current and former JWs who are LGBT and they may have people who've gone through a similar experience.

18. Cass

19. HomosapienHomo

I want to apologize to you Deluna, not all JDubs are like that. I have been very fortunate and have a small group of about six peers who are my age and they know that I have homosexual tendencies. In addition, both my parents and sibling, know that I'm gay. They all accept it and understand that it's not my fault, it's not a choice and it's not a phase. The only difference is that I choose not to practice homosexuality, which means I don't have gay sex. It's difficult, but not impossible. Straight people in the JW organization are told to abstain from sex until marriage, so if some people remain single all their life and abstain from sex, I can too. I know of older people who never married and they remain faithful to Jehovah God. Basically, you have a choice to make, either abstain from sexual acts or leave the religion and practice whatever you want. At the end of the day, it's not that hard. Stay or leave, it's as simple as that. I'm sorry you got stuck with "strict" parents, but I assure you that they are trying to do the best they can to raise you in the best way they can. Once you're old enough to make a choice I'm sure you'll do what's best for you.

20. IG88

My friend recently went to a JW hall. He said it had a cult like atmosphere. I think that their religion is too far removed from what the Bible says to be sound.

I would recommend finding a different church, one that is LGBT friendly would be a plus. I'm sorry, but I don't think you can win an argument with JWs. Most of them are loyal to whatever the organization tells them, and currently the organization is not gay friendly.