1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like her, she can't like me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SkylarReilly, Mar 23, 2014.

1. SkylarReilly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (I'm new here btw, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area!)

I'm a college student, falling (fallen) head over heels for one of my instructors. We've spent some time together, but she can't (and won't, which I understand) be completely open with me because of our relationship (teacher/student). The last thing I want is for her or I to get in trouble. So I've been trying to keep my distance, texting and speaking with her to a min., but the thing is, I don't even know how she feels about me. I'd like to know, but maybe it's easier for her not to say if she does, and if she doesnt then why hasn't she just said it? I'm going kinda crazy, thinking about her and wanting her, but then doubting she'd ever be interested in me.

Some encouraging and HONEST words would be super helpful!

Thank you for listening! (&&&)

-Skylar

2. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

If she is interested, it might be good to wait until you are not in a class with her. Not just because of the rules, but because it make it difficult for her to teach and grade work with that bias involved. It becomes hard to be impartial, and that could be stressful for her. In fact that may be why she has not shown interest yet. Teaching is a hard and stressful job sometimes.

3. AcceptingMyself

Exactly what I was thinking. Wait until you aren't her student, then see if she's interested. She may have a policy about dating students whether or not they're in her class however, so you may have to be patient and wait until you graduate or change colleges.

4. polaroid

polaroid Guest

Please elaborate on this. Did you spent time together in class? Out of college?

I may not be of much help here but I can relate to your situation. I've let myself fall for one of the demonstrators in my anatomy class. The demonstrators aren't exactly my teachers, they don't have a say in my grades. I basically justified my crushing to this person. Every anatomy session, I would specifically go to her station and listen to her teach. I frequently complimented her teaching. (My attractions aside, she really does teach well!) I actually thought I was being very obvious with my 'flirting'. I would ask her when she would be teaching again since the schedule isn't fixed. She would reply with ''we'll all be here next week'' to which I would tell her that I specifically want her to be around to teach me.

I managed to be alone with her in her station during one revision session. That was about the only time I got to know a little bit about her and that was the time when I got my hopes up, as pathetic as that sounds. So anyway, I've been crushing from sort of a distance and I've just been thinking about her so much to a point that it's not conducive anymore. I just wanted to end my endless wondering so about three days ago, I decided to pluck up my courage to find out if this person is, at the very least, available. I was planning on asking her myself but after a brief conversation with her that day, I felt that she wasn't as receptive as before. I ended up not asking her. I chickened out. I thought I finally have the guts to tell someone I like them but I didn't. I knew I still have to do something about it though. I had to know one way or another to shut my brain up. For the first time in my life I revealed my feelings to a friend/colleague of my crush. I asked this friendly demonstrator about her and found out that she already has a long-term boyfriend. He's also not sure if she 'swings that way'. I knew not to get my hopes up but it sure is hard not to be disheartened.

Sorry I've written an essay. :/ Anyway, it might be possible that she's just being nice to you. She's not saying anything because to her, there isn't anything to say. In this case I think you'd only know the answer if you ask directly. That or implying very obviously that you're romantically into her. Then again, I would also follow what the others have said. If they have anything to do with your grades and whatnot, it's best to wait until you aren't her student.

Best wishes.

5. SkylarReilly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone's comments and advice here is stellar. I totally agree, and know (in my heart) that there can be nothing between us until we aren't in this situation. All the same, it's painful.

I do know she's gay, and single, and we have spent time together outside of school, which in itself, although nothing happened, made both of us a little uncomfortable. I'd like very much to be honest with her, but I think if I am before we're in a place to act on feelings, it'll make it all that much worse, harder, too complicated, etc.

In the meantime I've been trying to be open to other people, but she's on my mind, her smile gets me every time. Her laugh... Maybe she is just being nice, but I don't know, and that's part of the reason I'm sort of all over the place. I go from certainty, to total doubt (that she has feelings for me), to the thin balance in between. I want her to like me, I hope she likes me, but I suppose I won't know until this semester is over.

<3