1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polite way to turn someone down?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Skov, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Skov

Hi everyone,

I went to a party on Saturday and my friend introduced me to a guy. The guy was showing me around, introducing me to people, offering me drinks (a lot), and said he recognized me from the dorm he lives in because I'm always there. Anyways, drunk me didn't realize that he was gay and hitting on me until he mentioned going on a date with this guy I know. I started distancing myself immediately because he isn't my type and definitely was into me. He added me on Facebook and keeps messaging me now. He hasn't asked me out or made a move yet, but I know he will. What's a nice way I can turn him down before he asks or if he asks? I just really don't want an awkward situation because I guess I see him quite often.

Suggestions?

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think you should just explain directly to him that he isn't your type and you don't think it's going to work. There isn't really an easy way of saying it. But I also think there's probably a possibility that he was drunk at the party too, so he might have just been coming too close because of that.

But in the event that he does ask you something, it's best to just be honest about the fact that you aren't into him. It's only going to be awkward if one of you makes it so, and if you meet him after this if you're just friendly and talk to him normally, it should dissipate the awkwardness.