1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Transgender For Attention

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DeLuna, Mar 25, 2014.

1. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

Sooooooo, I was talking to my mom today and she said that being bisexual was a choice and I was just choosing to be trans for attention..!!!!!!! Omgs, she never ever listens to ME!! I think she's deaf or something........

2. Bryony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why would someone subject their self to bullying, ostracising, prejudice, bigotry and all that stuff... just for attention? What an odd idea.

3. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

Exactly, omfg

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You should actually tell her this if she tries to say something like that again. None of us would bring unnecessary complications upon ourselves like this, if it wasn't who we are.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The mental health professional who referred me to the gender clininc was under the impression that I was trans because I was trying to AVOID bullying...

Your mum sucks! /hugs

6. Nick07

The only thing I know about your mom is what you said in your first post. But I can understand her doubts. You turned her world upside down, give her time and space.

And there was a girl a EC that wrote a post about her classmates saying they were lesbians - just to be interesting. Some people will do incredible things to draw attention to themselves. Calling themselves gay, trans, selfharming, many things.

7. lovely lesbian

You have probably said this to her till you were blue in the face that be bi isn't a choice she should see that you being bi and you struggling with who you are and who want to be isn't a choice and you haven't just woken up one day and decided all this no you have been struggling with this and now you know who you are she should be happy that your happy with who you are.

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people do pretend to be trans for attention. It's indicative of a deeper problem. I hope people don't see that (usually online kids) and think that is trans. Trans is NOT fun and games. Don't get me wrong, it's okay to use humour. However, it's very serious. Some trans people commit suicide. I am stealth ftm. I am more than capable of defending myself, although I don't always feel 100% safe. What if I were attacked by many people at once? There's a lot of hate for trans around. I've read stories about attacks that flare me up with rage.

Nick07 is correct about people pretending to be many things. For example, some people WANT to have a mental disorder. You might find this interesting;
    BBC News - Why patients are saying 'I want to be bipolar'

Your mom is shocked and probably in denial. I came out as ftm when I was 17. My parents still think it's a phase. I've been told that I'm bisexual for attention. It's silly. If I wanted attention I'd go streak naked outside! Which isn't something I'd do anyway.

9. pianoguy88

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If your mom believes that bisexuality/transgenderism is a choice, you need to understand that this is her BELIEF. I'm assuming that she listens to you -- otherwise you two couldn't have a conversation. You can present a logical argument. You could resort to yelling at her (which, for the record, I do not recommend). You can point to psychological studies or personal stories from the LGBT community.

But you need to be realistic. You can't force anyone to change what they believe, nor the way they think. Try not to take your mom's inability to understand your situation as a personal slight. If anything, I imagine she is trying very hard to understand where you are. And assuming that your mom loves you (not an unreasonable assumption), she will be very frustrated that there's an area of your life that she's unable to comprehend, especially if she sees you suffering or in pain.

10. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I have to keep that in my head, :slight_smile: I know my mum loves me

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

..I wish I actually had no part in this..My life would be way better if I was a straight cis boy

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, there are people (looking at you, Tumblr) who pretend to be trans or identify as, say, an animal or fairy for attention. But obviously, you're trans not because of you wanting attention and a parade but because this is something that you experience and are.

My mom's the same way. "Oh, you only want attention. Oh, you only feel this way because you have mental issues." She's not the best person, especially when it comes to things like this, but it's how she's trying to process and justify it. When people are thrown for a loop, they'll come to some pretty stupid conclusions in order to make sense of things.

12. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

At this point, I would gladly ditch everyone & everything LGBT related if I could.. xD My whole wide life would be MUCH better without this stuff coming at me like bombs

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should ask your mom when she chose to be straight.

14. Nick07

It would be different, not necessarily better. It depends on you. This experience can teach you to be more empatic or understanding for example.

15. lucina

lucina Guest

>this
    But seriously, you need to tell her how you feel and be honest with her. If she doesn't believe you then, she's not going to ever.