1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Friend's Kids

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Theron, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Theron

I have a good female friend I am very close to.

She is bisexual but married to a man. They have two kids, a 10-year-old son and a 7-year-old daughter. Their kids are wonderful, and my fiance and I often see them and baby sit their kids. They call us "Uncle".

However, my engagement was only recent, and the daughter is especially fascinated by this. She went to school and told her teacher, according to her mother, that "Mommy's friend is getting married!"

The teacher said, "Good for her!".

My friend's daughter replied, "No, he's a boy!"

To which the teacher said, "Oh, so he asked his girlfriend to marry him?"

She replied, "No, his boyfriend asked him to marry him!"

The teacher called her mother, convinced that I am doing horrible heathen things around a little girl.

=/ We sometimes hold hands while sitting next to each other and maybe two or three times I've given him a peck on the lips around her (to greet him or bid him farewell if he's coming/going separately).

I feel like I should stop spending time around my friends kids because I'm warping them.

2. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that the only one in the wrong here is the teacher. She had no business to question your life or who your friend spends time with. Unless your friend feels uncomfortable with you, continue spending time with your friends family. You are absolutely not "warping" her kids.

Btw, congrats on the engagement! :icon_bigg

3. GayDadStr8Marig

You're hardly warping these kids. The only problem is the teacher is a homophobic sad excuse of an educator. Unless the school is religious I would have their mom go to the school board to have the situation addressed.

4. katwat

I am so sorry that ugly-minded teacher hurt your happiness. Forget her nasty spirit and enjoy the fact that you are marrying the person you love. Congrats on your engagement!

Also realize that your friend, her family, her kids, and particularly the little daughter all found you and your fiance perfectly normal until ms. nasty teacher pants put her homophobic two cents in. I bet if you checked your friends are still okay with you and your fiance being involved in their lives. Don't let mean people get you down, it only makes their hatefilled day.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yet another example that homophobia is the real "lifestyle choice". As you can see, kids don't know what to think about homosexuality, and you shouldn't fear showing affection to your fiancé when around them. It's better for them to see that you're just a normal human being who also feels love rather than hiding away.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's great that the kid looks up to you like that. Don't worry about what some conservative primary school teacher says... Keep doing what you're doing :slight_smile:

7. Shea

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dumb teacher. Maybe taught the kid a good lesson in ignorance though :wink:
    Bet you rock as an uncle :slight_smile:

8. Theron

Thanks everyone. n_n

I actually talked to my friend about it today and asked her if she wanted us to stop spending time with her kids, as her and her husband's opinions really matter most. She still wants us to hang around and decided to talk to the school administration about it.

I've known her daughter since she was an infant and I've known her son since he was 3.