1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with a religious father

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clockworkfox, Mar 29, 2014.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've been trying to come out at home for ages. I'm at a point where pretty much everyone else knows. I've even told my sister. But the biggest thing standing in my way is my dad. He's completely baffling me with his stances and ideas about things. And it turns out he's one of those religious types to pin their view on homosexuality on their religion itself.

The other day he made a passing vaguely homophobic comment, and instead of letting it slide, I sparked a debate. He brought up the infamous bible passage about how men shouldn't lie with other men, and continues to say (because he at least has some understanding of context) that they believed culturally at the time that it was wrong to have sex in any way that didn't lead to procreation. I just said, if he thought that was still relevent, then he must not masturbate either, right? And god help anyone involved in an "unconnsumated" marriage, like his brother, who doesn't have any kids despite being married for years. That's about where we just dropped the conversation.

He's asked me point blank if I'm gay. I told him I'm not. That's the truth and a lie. From his perspective, what he wanted to know, is whether or not I like women. I like guys, but I'm also ftm trans. How do I even gauge his opinions on something like that?

I'm tired of pretending, and eager to make transition a tangible option. I'm ready to come out. But I can't work past this. I need the health benefits I'm still getting from my parents plan to deal with some medical issues. And I don't think they'd outright cut me off, but I don't really know. I don't think my dad would handle suddenly having a gay son well. His arguments to back up his opinions are paper thin, but he's hard-headed and stuck in his ways. :dry: