1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I sent the letter

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AwesomGaytheist, Mar 29, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never knew it would be this hard for a fairly watered-down part of my original plan. Typing the letter wasn't hard, and printing it wasn't hard. It took a lot more effort than I ever thought I'd need to fold that piece of paper in thirds and place it in an envelope. My hand didn't want to write the address that I lived at for 14 years before I moved away. I decided I needed to make sure there was no turning back and walked to the big blue USPS mailbox and placed it on the lid and held it open for a second. As I was doing this, I was on the phone with a very supportive friend of mine who encouraged me to let go of it. And I did. There was no turning back. It was gone.

He should be getting it Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'm really scared, and I thought he got it today for a moment, as my phone rang and I jumped about 6 feet in the air. I thought he got it and was calling me to abuse me over the phone. Anyway, here's what it said.

Dad,

I thought the conversation we had would be a start in fixing some of these issues, but it turned out to be less productive than expected. However it did bring to light some issues that you have that aren't being resolved that you need help for, and aren't getting. In fact, you refuse to even acknowledge the problem exists and won't get help.

I told you that you have an anger issue. You said that I've never seen anyone with an anger problem, and for one, that's not true, and two, just because you don't throw things or hit people doesn't mean you don't have an anger issue. You get very angry at very small things and you express that anger in unhealthy ways. While I'll concede that they aren't as unhealthy as they could be, they're still unhealthy.

Secondly, you told me that every day you go to work takes one day off your lifespan. That sentence alone is why you need therapy. When you're playing the lottery desperately, thinking that's your only hope to get out of this job, that's another problem.

Now before I say this next part, I have to make it clear: I don't think you're stupid. I think you act like it at times, but you're a fairly intelligent guy. When you said that once you can quit your job and retire that you'd "magically" go back to being the man my mom married, I knew that wasn’t true. It doesn't work that way. I would have thought that someone with a psychology degree would know that.

For these reasons and others, I've decided that I'm not going home again until you go to therapy and make progress in dealing with these issues. You need help and the first step towards getting better is to actually admit it, and then go get help for it. There's no shame in going to therapy, and simply put, it's only going to make things better for you. The fact that you're losing body hair because of the stress at work, that's my point exactly.

Sincerely,

AwesomGaytheist

This is going to be a very long week.

2. GayDadStr8Marig

I mailed my own letter to my dad last week. He received it today. My sister said he reacted well and wants to talk to me. I have to let him know when it's a good time to talk. I'm a bit surprised by the reaction this time compared to the rejection I received when I first came out at 18. Now that I've been in a straight marriage for 17 years and have 2 kids, I have a lot of people who are being hurt by choices made 23 years ago.

I hope you are surprised by receiving a positive reaction.

-rick