1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long-distance and jealousy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ornoir29, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ornoir29

I live in Europe and for next summer I got a job offer in the USA for a month. I am by nature a jealous person, not proud of it but that's it. I've started working on it lately.

I told my boyfriend that I'm sorry to leave him for a month and then asked him: "Will you wait for me and not fool around?". He answered: Yyou don't have to worry, of course I won't fool around. And anyway the scene is much bigger in California than here, I should be the one to worry".

This answer left me a bit... uncertain. Is there actually something about it, or is it me being hopelessly jealous?

2. QueerQueen

I'm the same way, I get jealous too.. I think everyone does to some extent. But from what he said he sounds genuine and you know no matter what he says a part of you is still going to be worrying. But if your still unsure you can bring it up again and talk about it a bit more. I'm sure he'll be just as worried as you when you leave.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Miss QueerQueen is right he really does sound genuine and I'm the jealous type too so this will be hard for me as well what your feeling is normal .

4. ornoir29

There's also something that, yes, it's very childish and silly, but I have a hard time dealing with it...

My boyfriend has a few men on Facebook often complimenting on him. He's kind with everyone, so he always answers nicely or keeping on with the jokes if they started out like that. He says that those people don't matter a thing, but well... Oompf. Wish I could get rid of these jealousy issues.

I can only imagine that being far for so long will make it worse for me...

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's nothing you can do while you're gone except trust he will do the right thing. When you come back, if you know him well, you may be able to tell if he is nervous about what happened or not. So, I think a "trust but verify" approach would be best.

6. ornoir29

He's the kinda guy who works overtime to have a Friday to spend with me, or who gives me a weekend together in some other city as a present. So yeah, the problem is probably me being a suspicious person...