1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Beards"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ilovemylife, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I came out to my friend, she told me that she still supported me and loved me. She said she had a crush on me, and now understands why I never reciprocated (she was making it blatantly obvious). One thing she said, though, was that she has no intention of being my "beard", and I can get that idea out of my head. I laughed and said that I never intended on having a "beard".

It's been about three months, and our "relationship" has accidentally gone public: Everyone thinks we are dating. Even though we both have told everyone that we are just friends and we talk boys out in public (well, she talks boys, and I listen), no one is getting the hint that we are not dating.

A few days ago, a friend of mine was walking by when her and I were out and said "way to go, bro!". I looked at her and said sorry. She shook her head and told me, "It's fine. I've kinda gotten used to being your beard." I feel terrible that she has been roped into being my straight-disguise. Now that I am ready to come out though, she told me to wait after prom. That way she can claim she didn't know and we'd "go back to being just friends". I don't know if she was joking or being serious.

I guess my question is: how do I deal with this situation? Do I let her continue being my beard until after prom? Or do I come out now to stop putting her through that? (I know she said she has "gotten used to" it, but I can tell she would much rather not be).

2. Silver Sparrow

Ultimately, you are the only one who can make this decision.
    However, maybe writing a pros and cons list could help?