1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my parents are homophobes

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LOHAC, Apr 1, 2014.

1. LOHAC

Out Status:
    A few people
    my parents are huge homophobes to the point that it scares me. they go on and on every day about 'being gay is wrong, it's disgusting' and i just want to burst into tears- i don't want them to hate me but i want them to know who i am and who i love. the same goes for my girlfriend and we're both honestly scared... is there any one out there that can help me?

2. Lil Shorty

I know how you feel. I was told I would be disowned if I was lesbian. All I can say is wait till you are in college to tell them or have a person you trust maybe an adult of your girlfriend sit them down and tell them together. In all honesty I am waiting to tell them when I am in college it may be the only safe way for me. I hope everything goes good for you. Best of luck wishes

3. Clay

How old are you? It might be easier to come out to them once you're out the house.

4. Mr Bubbles

I had a rather similar situation to yours... my parents talked daily about how being gay is wrong and made other statements that I won't repeat. The best advice is to simply wait to tell them until you have moved out, or you know that you will have the support of someone who could take care of you. This is what I planned to do, although it didn't work out... my mom read my journal and found out. Luckily though, while she still doesn't like gays, she didn't disown me or kick me out like I thought. I found that no matter how much hate they have, they will still on some level love me. Hopefully, if you decide to come out to your parents they will have a similar (although preferably better) response. I know you want them to know who you are, but I would not plan on coming out to them though if at all possible until you have a way to make sure that you will be safe. I know it's tough, but it is the safest route. I wish you the best of luck in this.

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be in the same situation that you are in now. Even after I'd been on my own for 4 yrs, I still didn't come out to them or or tell them that my partner wasn't just a college roommate. I didn't want them to hate me either. So I just waited until one day I was put in a situation where I had no choice. It's probably something that won't happen to you though, unless your parents are Christian, Muslim, or Jewish fundamentalists. I'm not suggesting you stay in the closet, or come out either. They might hate you or just hate the "sin", but if you're concerned about their reaction, it might be better to wait until you at least have the ability to get out if you have to. Plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

6. LiveToLive

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm in a bit of a similar situation. My parents are both very conservative, and they aren't hesitant to state their beliefs that homoseuxality is a sin (which is not true, obviously). However, I know that my situation isn't as severe as yours, as I'm fairly confident that even if I were to come out to them, they wouldn't kick me out or anything like that. The worst they would probably do is force me to go to counseling or something, and even if they did kick me out, I have places I can go.

My advice, like what others said before me, is to just wait. I know it's a strong desire for them to know the real you, but in reality, time flies by, and before you know it, you're moved out and independent, so you can come out to whoever you like mostly risk-free. I don't think there are tons of families that would throw their own kids out for something they view as wrong, like Mr. Bubbles' family. Still, waiting until you're out of the house would probably be the best bet. That's what I'm doing. I'm sixteen, so I have at least 3 years to go before I move out. (I graduate high school next year, will attend the local college for 2 years, then move on to university, when I'll actually move out)

Hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

- Tasha

7. Theron

Wait until you're on your own two feet before you tell them.