1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to help my parents understand

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Munyal, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Munyal

So, in the last few months, as some of you may know, I have been going to Catholic School. While at first I was mildly against the idea, I have developed a deep hatred for the place and many of the people there. Not all of them, but most. I have tried to tell my parents how much I hate it there and that I would really prefer to go to the public school in my town (our public schools are actually excellent). They have used the this is the best thing for you excuse every time I've tried to sway them, and I feel like I'm just not getting through to them. This has nothing to do with me being gay, they just think that the Catholic school is better. I don't know how to get them to listen, and they are adamant that this school is the best thing since sliced bread. "The learning environment is better," "The students are more focused," and "Sometimes the best option isn't always the one that is fun," are popular excuses. I feel bad telling them that they are wrong on all three of those. This issue is driving a wedge between me and the rest of my family.

Since I've been going to this new school, I've had almost no contact with the people I love from my old school. They are very active in extracurricular things and don't have time after school and on the weekends. My parents have told me it is my fault that I haven't been seeing them as much, but I'm not the one who decided to enroll at a new school filled with ignoramuses. I've also been told to focus on my new friends, instead of the ones built off of 9 years of history. That's like telling somebody you can't eat this piece of pie, but look, here's a radish instead! Honestly, there are only three people I really connect with at my new school, and one of them doesn't give off the life-long friend vibe. This is getting rantish, sorry. I just need to know how to tell my parents that they're wrong, this school isn't better than the old one.

2. Sunshine Cries

I think the best thing you can do is explain how unhappy you are there. It seems like your discontent with the environment isn't helping your learning at all, too. You can't feel bad in telling them that they are wrong. Parent's aren't actually always right, and neither do they know what's best for you. I went through something similar a year ago. While you shouldn't go to my measures to leave the school (this involved several trips to the interventionist and once the psych ward), you should try to get them to understand your point of view better.

Good luck, man! Hope you can leave your school for greener pastures.
    ~Sunshine