1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this wrong of me to do?????

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lordsnow, Apr 5, 2014.

1. lordsnow

So tonight I went to church with my dad and his family(I'm an atheist) I decided to wait in the lobby while the service was going on. About half way though service two guys sat down next to me and we started talking. Before I go any further a little back story on my social life the past three years, there has not been one. I honestly can say that I have no friends(besides my sis) and cannot remember the last time I talked to someone my own age before tonight. Now that I have got that out of the way I can continue. They both where very nice and didn't seem to care the I was not religious. This brings me to my question, would it be wrong to continue going to church just to try an make friends?

2. Simple Thoughts

...hmm? =/

No, I don't think so. Only if two conditions are met though.

1.) You don't try to push your atheistic beliefs on anyone ( however if asked feel free to discuss ) you're in a church...the one place that you definitely 100% of the time should respect the beliefs of others and let them do their business ^^

2.) Don't get offended by them spreading their beliefs...I mean it's a church. That's their place of worship, you're gonna hear them preach and you can't really ask them not to.

If those two things don't bother you than by all means make some new friends there ^^

3. lordsnow

I gave up trying to push my atheistic beliefs on Christians I long time ago, with the exception of my sister.

4. Simple Thoughts

I see.

Well like I said if you're aware of what you're getting into than go for it. Also avoid 'false pretenses' don't lead anyone to think anything of your personal beliefs that aren't true.

5. thrnvlpidj

Even an atheist can learn something from scripture readings.

I think there are lots of people who go to church more for a sense of community than the religion.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that it should be fine as long as you're upfront. I'm far from home and fairly agnostic, and yet I still go to church, in large part because of the friendships I've developed there. However, now that I'm thinking about coming out, I feel stuck since everyone just assumes I'm straight.

7. SleepyT

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think any reason to go to church is a valid reason. As long as you're not lying to people and pretending to be religious/Christian, then there is no reason that you can't go and enjoy and learn. I consider myself agnostic (although I was raised Christian), and I have some very non-traditional beliefs about Christianity and religion. However, I am a very active member of my non-denominational church. I love the music, the fellowship, and the messages (even if I don't always believe or agree with everything that is being taught). It's still very nice to be able to see other people's perspectives and learn to apply messages to your own life. So I say go and enjoy!!