1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to make a friend to get professional help

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Skov, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Skov

Hey everyone,

I have a semi-friend that I met at work a few years back. She looks up to me, and I guess I've sort of been a nonjudgmental ear to listen to her problems (eating disorders, abuse, self-harm) which I really don't mind doing every once in a while because it helps her. However, she needs professional help. I am not a professional and am really not qualified to provide more than an ear if she is having a bad day. I know she just cut herself after having not for literally over a year. I have told her multiple times that she needs to talk to a professional. She doesn't have money which is an issue. I asked her about whether she had resources available at her college (she attends a Christian college). She said her adviser is "busy" and that she doesn't want to be "judged or condemned" (ugh another prime example of my major issues with religion). She said that she thinks her adviser "would not be happy, but will listen."

She needs real help and I'm not entirely sure that her adviser sounds like the best candidate. I don't want her to be shamed. Again, I don't know if her adviser would be like that, but I am very distrustful of religious people when it comes to therapy issues.

How can I convince her to talk to someone? Should I try to convince her to talk to her adviser even though I don't know how much help he will be? Is there maybe like an online forum similar to this but more focused on mental health that I should try to convince her to join?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

#1 Skov, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014