1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleepovers

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rainbow Girl, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Rainbow Girl

So my best friend and I have been trying to a sleepover for weeks and tonight I'm gonna call her to work the details for this weekend. I'm gonna be coming out to my mom tomorrow night and the reason I wanted to arrange the sleepover with my friend tonight is because I'm not sure if my mom would let me have it other. Is it bad to kind of lie to and manipulate my mom like that.

A little more info on the situation: my friend and are not a couple, she is currently unsure of her sexuality but I can guarantee nothing romantic or physical would happen either way.

2. barbadosslim

Out Status:
    A few people
    Its never really a good idea to manipulate people especially people you love but really the question is how do you think she will react to the news? If her reaction is going to be negative than maybe you have made the right choice wish I could help more but this is certainly a strange gray area but I say do it because apologies are better than regrets

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a thought but wouldn't it make more sense to tell your mum AFTER your sleep-over?

If your mum has the power to stop you having sleepovers and she takes the news badly, surely the fact that you planned it in advance wouldn't stop her from forbidding this one...

4. Butterfly72

Sorry to ask, but just wondering how old you are? Just so I know where to base my reply. How do you think it may go tomorrow with your mum?

5. IJustWantToLove

Hey Rainbow Girl =)

I agree with barbadosslim,
    How would you feel, if you were your mum?
    I don't say it's wrong, but I think it's a bit, lets say, unfavorable to come out right afterwards, don't you think? 'cause it sure seems like their's a context between your having a sleepover with your best friend and your coming out, even though you know nothing romantic or physical will happen. And then I guess if I were a mother I would feel somewhat manipulated...

Probably not the answer you wanted you hear, but that's my opinion...

6. Rainbow Girl

I'm fifteen, just for reference. I'm 99.99% sure my mom will take it just fine but she's always said I can't have sleepovers with guys so maybe she'd reluctant.

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with IJustWantToLove. Your Mom may disallow you from having sleepovers with your female friends after you come out to her. But please, do not let that stop you unless you're ready for the consequences. Although, I will say that just because you invite a female friend over, it doesn't mean there's anything going on between you and her. However, as a parent myself, I would still be worried. I was a teenage once upon a time and I used to do things with my female friends that my parents still have no idea about :grin:

#7 pinklov3ly, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014