1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Way He Looks At Me..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by frxstrating, Apr 7, 2014.

1. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello. I know I'm not consistent with posting, but I felt the full need to get this off my chest. (I'm sure most can relate.)

Right now, I see thousands of stars but cannot fathom the constellations: that is how confused I am. Alright, so by starting of the story, I will firstly name our protagonist "J". J and I have known each other for about a year and a half, and were friends last year (friends meaning actually being able to have an engaged conversation whilst having a friendship) This year, we may have very small chat but not very much. But, as seen in the title, it is the way he looks at me. There is just something about this that he seems to want to get by and tell me indirectly and through eye contact. I do in fact like him, and we do sometimes get touchy-feely (brushing of arms; legs, hugging) He seems like a whole new person to me this year.

My theory of his odd and new behavior started at the beginning of this year. We didn't talk much, and mainly because I had avoided him because I was scared to talk to him after a.) developing a new crush on him and b.) not seeing him in such a long time made me wonder about his opinion about me. I was rather hesitant when it came to talking to him at first, and I still am, but when we do talk, he looks at me like nobody else would. He tends to hug me and everything and I'm starting to get more comfortable with that, but as I continue to grow comfortable, I lose interest in him. I just want to know how to approach him and how to come out to him.

Please?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is J straight? Is he single?

Sometimes when you come out first, that gives the other person a lot of breathing room to know you're comfortable with them to share something so personal.

You might try to spend more one-on-one time with J, especially if you two have a common interest. Just try being closer friends, and let things develop naturally. It's often helpful to give compliments, like saying how much you like his hugs or how they make you feel, basically kind words that show you like him.

3. IG88

Oh looks...I've thought that a few different people were giving me looks. Turned out I was wrong. I would assume that J is straight so you won't be dissapointed if he really is. But, I could be wrong.

4. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Resu -

I'm not entirely sure about his sexuality, but I do in fact know he has a girlfriend in which he is going to break up with. I talked to him about this, and he said he feels trapped in a relationship with his girlfriend because he liked her last year but that was out of puppy love, whereas this year he does not devote himself to the relationship very strongly. I think he is questioning/bi, due to the fact that whenever somebody makes a homophobic comment (which I have gotten used to) he sort of backs away from the circle, offended. Thanks a ton for responding on this thread!

IG88 -

That's what I edge myself towards thinking sometimes. Truth be told.

5. Trooper

Haha, you sound exactly like me.

I'm going to disagree with IG88 though. There was a similar guy who I had a massive crush on, who would also stare at me, but I didn't know how it could lead anywhere. But eventually it became clear enough that neither of us was straight; both in terms of how we touched each other and words that were spoken, although we didn't have sex and didn't clearly come out to one another. Even after this stage, I've been too scared to try to take things further, and sometimes even avoid him. I have a very hard time forcing a conversation with someone, particularly someone I like, unless I have an "excuse" to talk to him. I recognize that this is a fault I have, and I'm not sure about how to move away from it. I'm thinking I'll just need to be more confident in myself and my sexuality (I'm very afraid of rejection), maybe you could try the same? Or wait for someone else to chime in. :grin:

Oh, and obviously the staring thing has happened with other guys and those times it didn't lead anywhere, but I don't know what would have happened if I had actually tried to take things further with them.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it sounds like you need to get closer to him. Start some conversations like resu said.
    You could try bringing up an LGBT topic when you're both alone and see how he responds.
    I would recommend lots more talking, touching, hugging and close-ness before coming out to him. But when you feel ready, it's just a simple: "Hey, can I talk to about something that's been bothering me?" then "I really hope this doesn't change anything, but I think I'm bi". Good luck!!

7. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Trooper -

Thanks a ton for giving me some input. That story realy lifted me up! Thanks a ton though. I cannot thank you enough~

WhiteShadows -

We do in fact put our instruments away together (I forgot if I mentioned that already and I'm too lazy to check) but we don't talk. At all. The most we've ever said to each other is "It's a nice day out." Like, seriously?! I'm not socially confident with him.

One more thing I forgot to say in my opening post: there is a part in a band song where the trombones (which we both play) do not play anymore. At first, when we got the song, we would look at each other and mouth the beats to each other. ( 1, 2, 3... 24) But now, it's just a look. I even managed to hurt my jaw by hitting my mouthpiece after the stare. Sorry for saying this again, but it truly feels like he wants to tell me something. I plan to come out tomorrow because we have band tomorrow, so wish me luck?

Thanks guys.

A ton~

8. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck!! I'm sure you'll be fine :grin:

9. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Only.. 6 more hours? This is a stupid post.

Thanks White~

10. Trooper

Good luck dude!! Tell us how it goes. :slight_smile:

11. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys. If any of you see this, I'm in my fourth period class and locked myself in the bathroom. Only an hour.

Sorry, but this is sort of a big deal to me.

Quick responses?

Thanks Trooper and White. (and Resu and IG88)

12. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    UGH. THIS ISN'T FAIR.

On our way, he slowed down and I was walking in front of him. The whole time I wanted to turn around and say "J, I'm bisexual." But no.

The single thing he said today was "Do you have play practice?" and I replied "No." THAT was it. I'm locked in a bathroom yet again, posting my feelings.

When we were walking out, I had his name on the tip of my tongue, but I didn't say it. It looked like I was choking or something. I feel indignant... and annoyed.

I better head out.

I am on the verge of yelling and breaking down.

This is the SIXTH TIME this has happened.

13. Trooper

I know the feeling of wanting to be more open but not finding the courage in that crucial moment. Hopefully someone more experienced can share tips on how to work on that.

But are you sure you want to come out to him? How about hanging out with him more to get to know him better first? Also, you mentioned that he has started to add more physical contact (hugs), and you just recently became comfortable with that. Maybe you should return the favor so that he won't feel like you're shutting him out.

I'm the same as you most of the time, but if he has any interest in you, try to think about how he must feel. I know I'm very easily hurt the few times I'm brave enough to reach out to a crush, and overreact to whatever their response might be, while I myself often act dismissive toward their advances (just because I'm shy). When I think about it, my behavior is hypocritical and could confuse or even hurt guys who might have an interest in me.

14. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you struggled, but don't beat yourself up! You will have more opportunities.
    Next time, just do it. Don't even think about it, just do it.
    He's another human being after all, you don't need to be so scared.

15. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    White -

Thanks. I'm serious. The next time we have band is on.. Tuesday? That's six days from now. After thinking over the fact that he is just anither human, that really brought up my confidence. I can't thank you enough.

Trooper -

I have been trying to return hugs and whatnot, but it seems as
    though my awkwardness gets the best of me sometimes.

I haven't said this yet, but he hasn't broken up with his girlfriend yet, and I am not entirely sure he is going to keep that recent promise of his.

16. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry for not really updating this?

I mean, there's nothing to talk about right now.

I'll update on Monday if I come out to him then.

(btw Let It Snow by John Green is perfect.)

17. frxstrating

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello!

Actually, I am posting right now for some advice and help on how to come out to him. I know I need to think of him as another human, but in some way, I think of him as a human with something that holds me back. Sounds crazy, right?

Well, any advice? If you want more out of this thread, then please help as well as give me advice! ( please )

18. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out by not coming out I.e. Bring up LGBT so "did you see that Uganda recently passed life sentences for homosexuals?" He replies and you say "I'm glad I don't live there cus when I get my first boyfriend I don't wanna hide it"
    So just assume they already know it and let him fill in the obvious blanks ,
    Good luck !

19. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    10 seconds of courage. That's all you need. All the suggestions above are good, and you can come out in any way you see fit. Just 10 seconds of courage is what it comes down to. Those 10 seconds could lead to a whole lot of happiness.

20. IG88

I agree with Trooper. It also might come across as odd to come out to only him...in the school hallways. I would get to know him better, be friendly, and try not to over think it. You both are in band, you can talk about the pieces, music, the band teacher, and maybe set up a time for a group of you (or you two) to practice together. :thumbsup: